General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 18:27:42
Print Post

Really do I have to use BT?

[link to this post]

My exchange is just about to be upgraded to FTTC (as in a few weeks) and Be* appear not to be getting their act together any time this year to offer Fibre.

Looking around, my previous favourite ISP (Zen) is way too expensive, so it seems that BT Infinity is a good deal at the moment? I'm quite surprised and somewhat horrified that I will have BT as my ISP.

I do download torrents, although not excessively, we have just discovered the delights of Apple TV combined with IceFilms and Rapidshare however....

Any other suggestions apart from BT?

Thanks,

Steve
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 26-Feb-12 18:59:44
Print Post

Re: Really do I have to use BT?

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

At the moment BT Retail's Infinity FTTC VDSL2 product appears to be about the cheapest on offer but yes I'd not fancy BT Retail being my ISP either.

Hopefully over time as the wholesale VDSL2 service becomes more widespread it'll become wires only meaning no engineer visit to your house will be required which should mean the price will come down as happeed with ADSL but alas thats a few years away I fear.

Not sure how much BT Wholesale are charging ISPs for VDSL2 circuits but either Retail are absorbing some of the cost or other ISPs are charging more to cover the cost of necessary upgrades to their networks or a bit more margin as it's still largely in early adopter stage.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 19:05:02
Print Post

ISPs offering FTTC

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 26-Feb-12 19:06:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah yes forgot about that link Xray

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User CutieCakes
(newbie) Sun 26-Feb-12 20:13:05
Print Post

Re: Really do I have to use BT? *DELETED*

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Post deleted by seb
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Sun 26-Feb-12 20:17:53
Print Post

Also if you are prepared to pay you could use BT business. UK based tech support.

Ian
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 21:03:56
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Thank you. One of the good things about an ISP is not having to use Tech Support smile

I have been with BE* for 6 years and have only ever called them once and that was when my exchange had an issue. Thinking about it I don't think I ever called Zen technical support the entire time I was with them.

Steve
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 21:04:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you, I will wander down that list.

Any recommendations?
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Feb-12 21:06:02
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Yes. Based on the prices of the other ISPs it would appear that BT are making a loss of some kind. Especially as there unlimited apparently is just that.

I just don't like the idea of being with BT who obviously are not adverse to traffic shaping, controlling and just generally not being a good ISP in my opinion.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-Feb-12 21:06:31
Print Post

I moved from BE Unlimited to BT Infinity unlimited. Works for me.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to