General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 19:28:38
Print Post

Talk Talk New Romney exchange

[link to this post]

Hi

anyone on Talk Talk from the new romney exchange.

Could you tell me your experience, ie, line speeds, quality of service etc and distance from the exchange, router used.

I live at lydd on sea and according to samknows am 4725m away from the exchange

Its at best a 1mb service around here but there is quite often ( several times weekly) disconnects and the line at times is quite noisy

I'm using a bt hg2700 router which I have found the most stable on long lines like mine.

I'm tempted to try talk talk but wonder ( as they are so cheap) whether its a waste of time.

Would really appreciate any feedback, particularly any body who lives @ lydd on sea

Thanks

Billzee
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 19:54:15
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk New Romney exchange

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

sorry can't edit last post:

I tried aol some years ago and they were atrocious

Billzee
Standard User andrewdb
(committed) Mon 05-Mar-12 20:49:53
Print Post

what are your current router stats?

put your download synch speed, noise margin and attenuation into here: http://www.farina1.com/adsl/

I haven't used talktalk directly but their phone support is renowned as being dire (online a bit better i believe). Bear in mind you'll have to move your phone line over to them too (full LLU) and currently to move back from a Full LLU product involves a cease and reprovide i believe.

Like you our choice of LLU is limited to talktalk only. I recently migrated to vivaciti LLU variety package (vivaciti are a reseller) which uses the talktalk equipment at the exchange but i can keep my phoneline at the post office (i route daytime calls through 1899 for cheap daytime calls) and it's a one month contract. More expensive than talk talk but you do get what you pay for i think.

edit: should add that i think there are other resellers with talk talk llu products..adsl24 or xilo/uno i believe.

Edited by andrewdb (Mon 05-Mar-12 20:51:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User creakycopperline
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-12 21:18:30
Print Post

it might be a different experiance for you but for the first few months it was hell, constant disconnections speed throttled, but the worst part was the non existent help, tech help are run in india and use a botscript to read from, ask you stupid questions about filters even though they rarley fail. if you do decide to go with them ask for the warrington centre. and forget the online help forums, ask you to provide lots of information and bore you to death your thread will easily go to 3 pages long, before they draw it out until you get fed up and give up, don't even attempt to vent your spleen, i set up a thread telling the truth on how awfull their service was and called a lier, despite the thousands of threads complaining of flaky speeds and constant cut offs.
my post was deleted. they love censorship. it's like comunist china over there. in the end it is your decision
but my self would stay clear. no doubt a TT appointed propaganda official will see this and try to paint me as some kind of troll/work for another isp/idiot who can't set up his router/ or and ex tt customer which i am.
ps after i installed an i plate things seemed to get better, but not as goos as now i'm with BT.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 21:30:27
Print Post

[re: andrewdb] [link to this post]

sort of snap

I'm with vivaciti on the surfwise package

regular problems with my line,( noise)

have an engineer out 3/4 times a year, 1/2 the time they find nothing wrong cos the noise is intermittant

many times bt try to make an engineers charge

had to get on to the ceo's office to get it waived last time.

used to be if they find out its your equipment responsible they charge you ( never have in my case)

now if they cannot find a fault, they levy the charge

btw the stats just now were

sync dwn: 992
up 480

att up 63.00db

noise margin up 10db

not sure whether I'm adsl or adsl2

if its the first then copnnection is about right

adsl2 should be nearly double

was thinking about a second line for the talk talk llu as we are paying T mobile £7/8 monthly ( after cashback) for mobile broadband
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Mar-12 21:34:23
Print Post

[re: creakycopperline] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by creakycopperline:
it might be a different experiance for you but for the first few months it was hell, constant disconnections speed throttled, but the worst part was the non existent help, tech help are run in india and use a botscript to read from, ask you stupid questions about filters even though they rarley fail. if you do decide to go with them ask for the warrington centre. and forget the online help forums, ask you to provide lots of information and bore you to death your thread will easily go to 3 pages long, before they draw it out until you get fed up and give up, don't even attempt to vent your spleen, i set up a thread telling the truth on how awfull their service was and called a lier, despite the thousands of threads complaining of flaky speeds and constant cut offs.
my post was deleted. they love censorship. it's like comunist china over there. in the end it is your decision
but my self would stay clear. no doubt a TT appointed propaganda official will see this and try to paint me as some kind of troll/work for another isp/idiot who can't set up his router/ or and ex tt customer which i am.
ps after i installed an i plate things seemed to get better, but not as goos as now i'm with BT.

ccl, thanks for that info

are you @ the new romney exchange?
  Print Thread

Jump to