General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astanden
(regular) Tue 06-Mar-12 13:40:55
Print Post

Be or Be Reseller or Fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I have been with O2 LLU for a number of years (with a BT phone line) on the old O2 Standard 8Meg legacy package but manage about 3.5 - 4 Meg.

The recent outage, slowdowns and DNS problems are becoming more common and is making me think of changing supplier. Will I have the same problems with BE (or one of the BE resellers) as it is the same network or should I take the plunge and go for BT Fibre (have not heard good things about BT as an ISP though)?

Thanks for any thoughts smile

Regards,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250 HDD
iPhone 4 16GB

O2 Home Broadband Standard
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Mar-12 14:00:17
Print Post

Re: Be or Be Reseller or Fibre?

[re: astanden] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by astanden:
Hi folks,

I have been with O2 LLU for a number of years (with a BT phone line) on the old O2 Standard 8Meg legacy package but manage about 3.5 - 4 Meg.

The recent outage, slowdowns and DNS problems are becoming more common and is making me think of changing supplier. Will I have the same problems with BE (or one of the BE resellers) as it is the same network or should I take the plunge and go for BT Fibre (have not heard good things about BT as an ISP though)?
Regards,

Adam

Be via a reseller would be a completely different experience than what you get with BE retail oe o2 , as none of the peering routing or related congestion issues would be present as the only part that is the same is the DSLAM

Everything else is down to the reseller and their wholesaler , Bt isn't a good choice if you ever needed support , but their infinity products appear to be better VFM than the other FTTC offerings around
BTW Regarding the DNS issues you do not have to use the isp's DNS you can choose from quite a few free public dns servers So matter which isp your with
Standard User partial
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 20:25:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by astanden:
Hi folks,

Regards,

Adam

I have not noticed any meaningful discontent with the BT Infinity product posted on the forum. Which is surprising as BT Infinity and indeed BT Broadband is the chosen choice of the public by a country mile.

Whereas BE / 02 appear to have far more complaints of unreliability despite being tiny in comparison.

Sadly I do not have the choice of Infinity in my village, but if I did...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 06-Mar-12 20:49:20
Print Post

There are plenty of other suppliers of fibre as well as BT Retail.

I've just had an excellent year with IDNet fibre, which I moved to from O2 Standard (6Mbps sync >> 40Mbps). Just decided to save a bit of money and took a long time to decide between Infinity and Plusnet. Chose Plusnet in the end.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Mar-12 21:31:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

We have free setup on our BE LLU Premium packages at present if that is of interest, plus a 1 month rolling contract.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User astanden
(regular) Wed 07-Mar-12 09:04:49
Print Post

Thanks guys for the replies smile

I have started using OpenDNS with DNSCrypt so will see how that goes.

Regards,

Adam

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 250 HDD
iPhone 4 16GB

O2 Home Broadband Standard
  Print Thread

Jump to