General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gazimoff
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-12 14:07:13
Print Post

Looking for high speed/good quality supplier.

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at moving broadband supplier. I'm out of contract and have great service with my current provider, but my usage has changed and I need to look at something more heavy duty.

I'm currently on ADSL2+, enjoying an up/down bandwidth sync of 1.6mbps/15.1mbps. Line length is about 1.1km from the exchange. My usage is easily 150GB per month. I'm in a BT FTTC area (alas no FTTP) and I'm also able to get Virgin at 100mbps.

My wife and I are heavy-duty gamers, from the Xbox through to high-end PC gaming. We play a range of stuff from RPGs and shooters to MMOs. We also buy a lot of our games as digital downloads. As a result, we need something that's fast, reliable, with low ping and unlimited usage. Draconian traffic shaping is also a no-no.

The recent change is that I'm now producing gameplay videos in high definition, which currently take an eternity to upload and can easily saturate our connection. As a result, I'm looking for something that's got a good upload speed as well as download. I also want to make sure that the support is good, with problems resolved quickly and without fuss.

I'm currently debating a switch to BT's Infinitiy Unlimited 40meg down/10 meg up service, but I'm not sure of any FUP or traffic shaping. I'm also open to other suggestions or recommendations as well so that we get the service and supplier we need. Price isn't as much of an issue as speed and quality.

So, any ideas?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 07-Mar-12 14:25:34
Print Post

Re: Looking for high speed/good quality supplier.

[re: Gazimoff] [link to this post]

BT removed the FUP on infinity a fair few months ago, Traffic shaping wise apparently they only shape torrents/usenet gaming should take priority i dont have BT so i cant confirm 100% but im sure some one on here will confirm either way.

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-Mar-12 16:53:02
Print Post

As per apcsd775, but I believe the P2P/torrent shaping is only at busy times, which vary. Infinity is almost certainly your only sensible move for over 150GB, though you could check out a few of the non-shaping ones such as Zen and IDNet - see this spreadsheet.

Bear in mind that Sky are joining the party very soon. The upstream is currently only 2Mbps though. I elieve 10Mbps is being trialled.

Also 80/20 services are just around the corner. Several listed on that spreadsheet are trialling customers on it.

What does this checker say about FTTC for you?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gazimoff
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-12 19:00:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. P2P/Torrent shaping isn't such a big deal, as I don't use those services unless the game clients use that method for distributing their games (MMOs being the typical example).

This is the response I get back from the line checker regarding FTTC:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 8Mbps
Standard User partial
(newbie) Wed 07-Mar-12 19:53:37
Print Post

I wouldn't sign up to anyone until 80/20 is launched and prices are clear. I expect an announcement on 80/20 this week.
  Print Thread

Jump to