General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 10:41:15
Print Post

Which ISP for unlimited broadband.

[link to this post]

I have been with IDNET for a couple of years and am very happy with them, but now I have BBC IPLAYER and my wife has an IPAD2 I am pushing my 30GB allowance to the limit. Another 10GB will cost me another £10pm. I'm looking at The Post Office at £21.40( I'm told their modem is poor and would use my Netgear) or BT at £25pm for unlimited. I have to keep my phone with BT as I have two lines on one bill. I am in a smallish village and I doubt we will ever have an upgrade to high speed ADSL+, so have to be happy with "up to 8meg". Advice or recommendations please.
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 10:44:59
Print Post

Re: Which ISP for unlimited broadband.

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

You could try plusnet extra which is 60GB peak usage then unlimited from 12am-8am.

1.Vivaciti LLU Lite ?/?Kbps
2.TalktalkEssentials 15788/1254Kbps @ 6db INP0
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 11:05:44
Print Post

if you want the same high quality support as idnet but with generous bandwidth allownaces then go for Goscomb or Netplan....both business grade Enta L2TP resellers. Netplan's up to 8128/832 kbps connection is £30 (+vat) per month and although its classed as unlimited, it has a FUP of 200gb a month (silly i know) so should be plenty for your needs.
http://www.goscomb.net/connectivity/broadband/consumer
http://www.netplan.co.uk/

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 11-Mar-12 18:23:49
Print Post

Are you sure no one has unbundled your exchange?

See http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 08:51:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

ADSL/MAX is the only service available on my exchange, as I have already mentioned
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 09:32:24
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Goscombe looks to be an excellent choice. I have contacted them regarding email addresses but unfortunately they do not supply them, but have offered to pass me on to a hosting company that will give me a discount. Unfortunately, doing this racks up quite a cost as we have a lot of addresses and they seem to be charged separately, so I think I will have to move to a more everyday ISP.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 12-Mar-12 11:31:03
Print Post

how many domains are you looking at for email hosting, as the paid for email company I use only charges about £1 per month and the domain registartion is quite cheap for 1-2 years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Mar-12 12:33:17
Print Post

Do you mean lots of different names in front of the @, or lots of different things after the @. I expect the first.

Have a read of my ISP-independent email/web page. As an anonymous poster just said, getting your own domain and email to go with it is quite cheap. It sounds as if you were either pointed to an expensive company, or misunderstood the pricing structure.

Once you go that way, you never have to change email address again, even if you migrate or change the mail host.

My website domain registration is £6.70 every two years, and the space for it and email is £14.99 per year. That's equivalent to £1.53pm, which is far from the cheapest, but they are really good. That gives you 10 mailboxes and unlimited aliases. Very few people need more than two or three mailboxes - most use just one mailbox and lots of aliases.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 12-Mar-12 12:34:01)

Standard User investmentbanker
(learned) Tue 13-Mar-12 21:03:27
Print Post

Believe it or not, you can negotiate with BT, so I would go with BT. I pay £32.75 and that is the total including unlimited broadband AND my telephone line (they give me the unlimited broadband for £20 - but then again, I have been a customer for some time - at the end of my contract, they called me up asking me to extend, and I told them that I was going to switch to TalkTalk (just bluffing - would NEVER go with TalkTalk again) and BT immediately offered me the discount. I pay the extra £5.20 a month for the international option for a total of £37.95. BT's international option is a bit of a ripoff because it has recently been limited to 600 minutes (10 hours) per month - if TalkTalk ever get their act together, I would consider switching - but there are still too many problems with them.
  Print Thread

Jump to