General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gee_dee_ell
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 11:31:52
Print Post

Broadband Trial ?

[link to this post]

I am a little unhappy with the download speed from usenet that I am receiving from home and would like to know if it is possible to take a trial with an alternative ISP without disconnection from my current ISP.

My home synch and connection speeds are very similar to those I receive at my place of work (approx 12 Mbs) but the download speed from the same news server is just 1/3rd of what I can get at work.

I have been with my current ISP for over 10 years and it would be a real pain to have to change email address, so I do not really want to just switch and hope for better.

Thanks

GDL
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Mar-12 12:01:31
Print Post

Re: Broadband Trial ?

[re: gee_dee_ell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gee_dee_ell:
I am a little unhappy with the download speed from usenet that I am receiving from home and would like to know if it is possible to take a trial with an alternative ISP without disconnection from my current ISP.
Unfortunately not frown. Which ISP is it, and which product? There may be an upgrade to solve the problem.
My home synch and connection speeds are very similar to those I receive at my place of work (approx 12 Mbs) but the download speed from the same news server is just 1/3rd of what I can get at work.
That's a different ISP I assume?
I have been with my current ISP for over 10 years and it would be a real pain to have to change email address, so I do not really want to just switch and hope for better.
That's one of the major things stopping many from moving due to the service not being as good as they want.

Do you know you could have ISP-independent email for under £1.50 per month, and never have this worry again? Also you could take your time over the changeover and still read your ISP one while using the new one for everything else.

Or is it an email address that lots of customers have, and you wouldn't be able to notify them all frown ?

griff-d-l.co.uk is available smile.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Mar-12 22:01:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Seems likely that your private BB throttles Usenet.
M

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 11:57:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Seems likely that your private BB throttles Usenet.
M
Heh! smile
That confused me rather a lot. You've clicked the Reply button against my post about ISP-independent email, not the one against the OP's one about usenet.

Got me trying to work out what made you think I had private broadband, as opposed to normal ISP-supplied smile.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to