General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Robin1989
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 13:07:46
Print Post

Which ISP and bonding options

[link to this post]

Hey.

This is my exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LVWTW
It's market 2
This is my current speed test this morning http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/231731594.png

We currently have 2 lines with aaisp and using a dray trek router to load balence across them. We were on 6 units and updated to 10 unit but are still likely to keep going over and the usage cost is getting to much as it costs more on 20cn which is our only option.

We have always used a reasonable amount of data but with services like Netflix, iplayer, itv player, 4od, 5od, anytime+, iTunes/iCloud/iTunes match, crashplan+ on 5 computers and I use Hulu in the USA via a VPN we are using more and more data each month especially with them coming to more devices etc.

We're looking to change both lines to someone with more usage preferably unlimited if possible. and we are thinking depending on cost to change it to bonded line for the extra speed instead of load balenced.

Any recommendations for ISP and bonding the lines.
From reading around. Understand some ISPs do the bonding for you others you do it yourself with hardware(which hardware?) and yo can get separate bonding services.

Top and bottom I just need advice and suggestions on what to do as we need to do something soon at this rate of data.

I think between the 2 lines and the broadband were currently paying about £75-£85 not including over usage charges.

Edited by Robin1989 (Tue 27-Mar-12 13:31:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Mar-12 13:30:25
Print Post

Re: Which ISP and bonding options

[re: Robin1989] [link to this post]

Have you checked that you cannot get Virgin Media at the address, e.g. keep one AA line for latency sensitive stuff and do the bulk downloads on the Virgin Media link.

Another option is go for BT Total Option 3 on a third line, and do similar.Thus freeing up capacity on the AAISP's for the most critical stuff.

Assuming you are getting the fastest you can from your lines then, no other DSL provider is likely to make things go faster.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Robin1989
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 13:36:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wish I could get virgin but unfortunatly I can't. I had virgin 50 when I was at university last year and they couldn't transfer the account to my home address.

I'll look at the bt.

My main thing I'm looking for is more useage. But I'm also looking at bonded lines to up the speed if possible. A one company solution would be preferred but if a separate service is needed for bonding I'm up for that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Robin1989
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 10:32:54
Print Post

I've been looking at plus net as they seem to have higher useage than aaisp. What they like? And anyone tried bonding there lines?
Standard User kingbiscit
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 10:55:43
Print Post

Hello

I am also looking into a similar thing.

Bonding you can go for BeThere - they take 2 lines and bond them together - its £65 a month plus your line rental. They are offering 3 months free at the minute.

Other option is to use http://uk.sharedband.com/ they will take any ADSL connections and bond them together using some clever custom router firmware.

Other companies like Eclipse I believe just resell the Sharedband service.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 11:35:27
Print Post

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Be isn't available at the OP's exchange. See the link in the opening post.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 11:52:16
Print Post

I think MrSaffron's suggestion of "BT Unlimited" is best in the circumstances. (It isn't called Option 3 any more but he's a creature of habit tongue). You need to click the "Show more broadband" button on that page, under the package featured). Plusnet are OK, but not as technically clued up as AAISP if you have problems.

Most of your heavy usage appears to be streaming, which should be OK with their traffic management, with the option to add the Pro bolt-on if it turns out to be necessary now or in the future.

BT Business Unlimited might be worth a look as well? Note the prices are ex vat.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Wed 28-Mar-12 12:01:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry missed that.

Sharedband with two lines is probably a good option then.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Mar-12 12:16:31
Print Post

Hate their current package names, and their product page far too confusing - if you are listening BT Retail

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-12 13:23:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
(It isn't called Option 3 any more but he's a creature of habit tongue).
It's still called Option 3 etc in their T&Cs so BT is addicted to same habit smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to