General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Apr-12 12:46:01
Print Post

Sky or BT for FTTC?

[link to this post]

Currently I'm with O2 and typically after I moved here in September they announce that FTTC is coming to my cabinet and is now available. Given BE's announcement that they won't be bringing FTTC any time soon I want to move ASAP as my current speed is only 2Mbps.

I work from home and can download large files, I also game and my wife watches a lot of iPlayer so I was looking at an unlimited product so I can be sure what my bills will be.

I number of years ago where we used to live we were with BT and found that their traffic management was horrible, moving to a legacy O2 product was great in comparison. It seems however (at least according to their website) that their policies have changed. Can anyone give any feedback on how good BT is nowadays?

Sky are my alternative but given the free speed upgrade BT announced today and similar cost, I'm more inclined to go with BT. Is there anywhere that will give an idea of what FTTC speed I can expect - BTs checked says 40.0/6.5 but I assume that is currently capped at 40.

Many thanks,

James
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 11-Apr-12 13:01:19
Print Post

Re: Sky or BT for FTTC?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sky.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Apr-12 13:10:46
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Sky is 40/2

BT Infinity is 80/20

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Apr-12 13:22:00
Print Post

Sky is residential only, so you can't use that as you work from home.

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Apr-12 13:22:24
Print Post

BT Retail traffic management is better than it used to be, now just P2P i.e. torrents so if you don't use those then will be fine

Given the changes to BT today, if interested in Sky I'd wait for a week or so, and see if Sky reacts, with a two product launch.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Apr-12 13:38:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
BT Retail traffic management is better than it used to be, now just P2P i.e. torrents so if you don't use those then will be fine

Given the changes to BT today, if interested in Sky I'd wait for a week or so, and see if Sky reacts, with a two product launch.

Thanks for that info - I don't P2P much and frankly even when traffic managed they would have to try hard to slow it down below the 2Mbps which is adequate now. Additionally it's mostly overnight so would be outwith the peak period and shouldn't be throttled.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Wed 11-Apr-12 21:09:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

What is this based upon?

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Apr-12 21:22:03
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ripley:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

What is this based upon?
this
2. Using Sky Broadband

(a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. It must not be used for any commercial or business purpose.

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Wed 11-Apr-12 21:38:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Interesting

I assume they put that in there T&C's so people dont attempt to reclaim any losses to their business due to the broadband being down.

I cant imagine your average Joe would take that into consideration if they just want to log onto work now and again to check their emails

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Thu 12-Apr-12 01:11:21
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

i agree he keeps on stating T&C working from home is illegal to use for working at home (if not sorry but some one is) like i am using my orange mobile phone for Business use i am guessing there is an T&C for that as well

if he gets the business package yes it should get fixed within 1-2 days (home use norm longer) but it cost him more then the sky package all together

if your run an server from home over the internet that mite get them interested if your constantly uploading, business FTTC would be better

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to