General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pjo123
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 22:40:51
Print Post

Unlimited adsl2+ that I can use with post office line?

[link to this post]

Hi all

Another how long is a piece of string question.

Currently I'm with Virgin and while am happy with the BB, I'm not happy with the phone or the TV hence am thinking of switching elsewhere.

I probably download a fair bit a month. Some months can be very little but some months could easily go over 50GB between 8am and midnight.

Even after a hard disk failure, it was around 20GB for starwars online and 10GB for Portal 2 and that was in one day.

So I'm after totally unlimited, unthrottled, that can be used with the post office phone line that's a reasonable cost. Not too bothered about speed, I live very close to the exchange and last tome I was with ADSL24 (a few years ago) I received around 15Mbps.

I'm not going to be downloading hundreds of gig a month, but I don't want to find myself in a situation where I go over my limit and am suddenly paying per GB. Lots of HD streaming from Netflix, two of us online gaming plus a few TV shows I download each week in HD.

Any advice please?

Sky unlimited looked good but I now need a Sky line and the post office is a much better deal (even offering a free install of a brand new line until May with just a 1 month contract)

The whole point of this is for me to save money. It appears that if I ditch my (very expensive) phone, Virgin simply charge me more for my cable modem so I'll doubt I will stay with them,

Any suggestions or am I flogging a dead horse?

many thanks

Joe
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 22:48:08
Print Post

Re: Unlimited adsl2+ that I can use with post office line?

[re: pjo123] [link to this post]

Which exchange?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User pjo123
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 23:10:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oops, sorry

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAGOR

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Apr-12 00:04:19
Print Post

Your best solution would be to get the free install from the Post Office, and once your month is up sign up for Sky Unlimited, (with or without TV). They will be able to take over the PO line, but you may have to pay £15.
"If you cancel Post Office HomePhone® within six months of any New Line Provision, we may charge you a cancellation fee to cover our reasonable costs. That cancellation fee is set out in the Price List."

From Price List:
"New Line Provision Cancellation Charge - HomePhone
"If you cancel Post Office HomePhone within six months of any New Line Provision, we may charge you a cancellation fee of £15 tocover our reasonable costs."
If you're lucky, it won't count as a cancellation. You don't say anything to them, just let the Sky signup trigger it from that end.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User pjo123
(newbie) Sat 14-Apr-12 00:09:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks, that looks like a good idea
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Apr-12 14:07:58
Print Post

Note that when I say "take over", I mean you will go onto Sky LLU Phone Rental and calls as well as the broadband. My plan just saves the installation fee.

Print Thread

Jump to