General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jaizan
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 18:57:58
Print Post

Which ISP for market 1 exchange -unlimited downloads ? BT?

[link to this post]

I am on a MARKET1 exchange & currently use ADSL24, who have a 30GB monthly peak time download limit for £20 a month.
Speed is 8~9MB/sec, since a "21CN" upgrade in February.

I'm contemplating moving to BT who offer a truly unlimited service for £26 a month.

Is this BT service any good? Should I be able to rely on the same download speeds?

I also looked at the Post Office, but they are introducing a FUP in June and their website doesn't even explain the T&C for this properly.

Another option is to switch to a ADSL24 60GB service for £30 a month.

Within reason, my priority is quality (hence I've started a new thread). I have several users in the property & require a good service, with a fast connection and high or unlimited downloads.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Apr-12 19:02:42
Print Post

Re: Which ISP for market 1 exchange -unlimited downloads ?

[re: jaizan] [link to this post]

If you're happy with what you know, it is always worth paying a little extra for a better service.

You could risk a change but may be stuck with another provider if they don't deliver a similar quality service.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Fri 20-Apr-12 19:18:19
Print Post

The post Office are simply combining the FUP and acceptable use police into a single document. The unlimited service seems the same with file sharers the only users that may be slowed or reported to the powers that be.
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/home-pho...

Support - http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9499/supportne.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaizan
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 20:21:12
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

Post Office FUP
If you continue to use the Service excessively for a third
consecutive month, or for a sixth month in any 12-month
period, we may cancel your Post Office® Broadband Service,
in accordance with the Agreement.

They don't state what "excessive useage" is, so that amounts to a totally unknown limit.
I either want truly unlimited broadband, or broadband with a visible and high limit (e.g. over 60GB peak hours, with the whole weekend off peak).

BT seem to have a truly unlimited off peak service. I just need to make sure it's good before signing up, as the contract is 18 months. Am currently getting some speed test data from someone else in the village on the same contract..... lets see how it compares.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Fri 20-Apr-12 20:38:41
Print Post

The only company I know that gives unlimited Broadband all weekend as well as evenings is Freeola. They are a small ISP with head offices very near to me. All the user reviews I can find give glowing reports for customer service. They are an ISP I am considering.
http://freeola.com/broadband/

Support - http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9499/supportne.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Apr-12 21:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by m0aur:
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/home-pho...
"Date last updated: April 2009"

I don't know where you got that link, but the links to the new one don't provide it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User jaizan
(newbie) Fri 20-Apr-12 21:42:13
Print Post

Thank you for posting the Freeola information. That is the only package I've seen where off peak starts at 7:00 pm, so it could be very good for heavy home users.

Ideally I would have unlimited broadband 24-7. The BT website shows a package which does this for £26 a month & as far as I can see, there's no small print hiding a FUP.
(Cost isn't a factor within a reason- good fast service is the priority).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Apr-12 21:49:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by m0aur:
The only company I know that gives unlimited Broadband all weekend as well as evenings is Freeola. They are a small ISP with head offices very near to me. All the user reviews I can find give glowing reports for customer service. They are an ISP I am considering.
http://freeola.com/broadband/
They are an Entanet reseller, and I'm pretty sure all of them do. (On the Entanet packages).

Vivaciti
3Peak times for these packages are from 8am until midnight, off-peak is midnight until 8am weekdays and all weekend. Off peak usage is not metered. Top ups are available for purchase for just £9.95 for 10GB top up. Top ups do not expire. If your exchange is 21cn enabled then this package comes with the higher 21cn speeds (ADSL2+).
UKFSN
Free Usage Period

midnight-8am
all weekend
ADSL24, (not Entanet but copycat packages)
Your normal allowance is consumed between 8am and midnight whereas the free allowance period is is midnight to 8am. All weekend is classed as the free allowance period too, so that's midnight Friday through to 8am Monday.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Apr-12 21:51:39
Print Post

BT "unlimited" is unlimited. There used to be a 100GB FUP. That was increased to 300GB for a period, and scrapped in April 2011. P2P traffic is subject to throttling at any busy time.

Standard User Titan_ADSL
(committed) Sat 21-Apr-12 15:42:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaizan:
Thank you for posting the Freeola information. That is the only package I've seen where off peak starts at 7:00 pm, so it could be very good for heavy home users.

Ideally I would have unlimited broadband 24-7. The BT website shows a package which does this for £26 a month & as far as I can see, there's no small print hiding a FUP.
(Cost isn't a factor within a reason- good fast service is the priority).

We offer a service which has a 100GB fup called surf 24 or again our entanet based service which as pointed out has peak and off peak usages.

TitanADSL
Call 01332 412 180
Unlimited Broadband upto 24 Mbs, Phone & Broadband bundles upto 24Mbs, Fibre Broadband upto 40Mbs - Get a FREE 0844 number visit
www.titan-adsl.co.uk
  Print Thread

Jump to