General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 18:59:49
Print Post

Which ISP/phone package? Gaming - Stamford Hill exchange

[link to this post]

Hi everyone! What a great forum - please could you help me find the best broadband+line rental deal for my new flat rental - which I think is connected to the Stamford Hill (LNSTA) exchange.

I play online games (WoW etc) at evenings and weekends so low latency, no actual throttling of gaming traffic, minimal jitter/DNS problems etc are really important and I stream radio/iplayer content so am thinking I need proper unlimited download limit or close. I've heard great things about BE, good stuff about some 'independent' ISPs such as ADSL24 and mixed reviews of the likes of Sky, Tesco, Plusnet, Talktalk and the like.

I'm checking the exact status of the line/connection (new build flat) but the technophobe estate agent tells me there is a BT line (which 'might' need activating and I guess I could migrate if necessary) and it is 'Sky ready'.

More reliably, SamKnows availability checker says the following are available:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
BT Wholesale SDSL
BT FTTC
AOL LLU
O2 / Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Tiscali LLU
Tiscali TV (via Tiscali LLU)

What do you chaps think is the best deal for me? Any other tips or things to check are gratefully received!

Thanks so much for your help, Tom
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:36:46
Print Post

Re: Which ISP/phone package? Gaming - Stamford Hill exchange

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you don't mind using their forums for decent support, then i'd highly recommend TalkTalk. You'll get very low pings on their fastpath profile and other than P2P traffic, every protocol runs at line speed 24/7. For what you pay and what you get, talktalk are an absolute bargain smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 19:37:59
Print Post

Orange operating over BTw WBC is cheap, fast & unlimited.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Apr-12 20:11:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi everyone! What a great forum - please could you help me find the best broadband+line rental deal for my new flat rental - which I think is connected to the Stamford Hill (LNSTA) exchange.

I play online games (WoW etc) at evenings and weekends so low latency, no actual throttling of gaming traffic, minimal jitter/DNS problems etc are really important and I stream radio/iplayer content so am thinking I need proper unlimited download limit or close. I've heard great things about BE, good stuff about some 'independent' ISPs such as ADSL24 and mixed reviews of the likes of Sky, Tesco, Plusnet, Talktalk and the like.

I'm checking the exact status of the line/connection (new build flat) but the technophobe estate agent tells me there is a BT line (which 'might' need activating and I guess I could migrate if necessary) and it is 'Sky ready'.

More reliably, SamKnows availability checker says the following are available:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
BT Wholesale SDSL
BT FTTC
AOL LLU
O2 / Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Tiscali LLU
Tiscali TV (via Tiscali LLU)

What do you chaps think is the best deal for me? Any other tips or things to check are gratefully received!

Thanks so much for your help, Tom
If your PCP is connected to FTTC then i would consider a FTTC service, Sky offer this , or you could get it via a reseller, but it would cost more and could be really expensive for unthrottled/ unlimited use 24/7
ADSL : well sky don't accommodate fast path at all, Tesco AKA(Cable & Wireless LLU) they don't do fast path either as a rule,
If FTTC isn't what you want then I would give the BEwholesale ( rebranded o2 wholesale) via a reseller a shot, Better peering and therefore the possibility of lower latency to that of the BE retail products ,monthly contract ,some offer free activation/migration ,
Plus BE/o2 retail has frequent issues for some ,As for the phone i would get the phone line with the post office,again no long tie ins
Talktalk & Sky you are forced to take their voice line rental &calls to have their ADSL known as FMPF Full LLU
This can be a pain at a later point in time should you end up unhappy and want to move away from them , Plus tt customer support via the telephone is dire they may as well not have it,lol
Bt retail (total bb ) throttled uses cleanfeed and blocks web sites , DLM and its stupid profiling system almost will guarantee to cap the sync to some degree, then you have their overseas useless support to deal with should you have any problems
The BTwholesale Products via resellers can be better but their controls over it are limited , and quite a few have usage limits and peak time shaping, these include plusnet

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-Apr-12 20:14:18
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
If you don't mind using their forums for decent support, then i'd highly recommend TalkTalk. You'll get very low pings on their fastpath profile and other than P2P traffic, every protocol runs at line speed 24/7. For what you pay and what you get, talktalk are an absolute bargain smile
The problem with having to use a forum for support is if there is some serious issues with the broadband or a borked provision of it people cannot readily use the forum, tt should up their price a little if they need to, and provide a reasonable standard of telephone support

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-12 21:51:51
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Being 2 -3 miles away from me, BE would probably be fine wink

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 00:11:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Orange operating over BTw WBC is cheap, fast & unlimited.

Thanks for all your useful responses. Any chance of a link to where this Orange deal would be available?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 00:22:46
Print Post

Try the Orange website? tongue.

He is just describing the Orange broadband service now that it is no longer LLU. Note that in some areas of the country their prices can be higher than the banner ones.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 00:27:06
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Yes, that's interesting advice given the bad name Talktalk have got all over the internet - is it really just their customer service or will the upload speed (0.4M?) and/or download limit (80gb) likely cause me any problems relative to this deal: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/talktalk/package/8...

That deal total cost inc Line rental = £263 first year or £515 for 2 years which is the cheapest decent deal I have found that isn't Tesco's new cheapo 'unlimited' deal (total cost inc Line rental £195 1 year/ £486 2 year) http://www.tescobroadband.com/tesco-broadband/evenin...

In comparison, I've calulated Sky Unlimited http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/sky/package/1013.html as
Total cost inc Line rental = £280first year or £547 for 2 years (which includes Wifi cloud access apparently)

BE Value is more - total cost inc Line rental = £324 first year or £648 for 2 years - is it worth it for a better-rated ISP or can anyone point me to a reseller that could get me a better deal?

Thank you so much for all your help, I've learnt more about telco in the last 24hours than in the last 24 years!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 00:37:16
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

If your PCP is connected to FTTC then i would consider a FTTC service, Sky offer this , or you could get it via a reseller, but it would cost more and could be really expensive for unthrottled/ unlimited use 24/7
I've just Instant-messaged a sky advisor who says Sky FTTC is not available at my new address (despite the local exchange appearing to be 'accepting' connections when I've checked) so the only FTTC option appears to be BT - who I'm giving a wide birth based on your comments below!

ADSL : well sky don't accommodate fast path at all, Tesco AKA(Cable & Wireless LLU) they don't do fast path either as a rule,
Interesting that Sky don't accomodate fast path - I've had to look up what this means but that's worth considering.

If FTTC isn't what you want then I would give the BEwholesale ( rebranded o2 wholesale) via a reseller a shot, Better peering and therefore the possibility of lower latency to that of the BE retail products ,monthly contract ,some offer free activation/migration ,
Plus BE/o2 retail has frequent issues for some ,
Good idea - can anyone recommend a BE resellser?

As for the phone i would get the phone line with the post office,again no long tie ins
Talktalk & Sky you are forced to take their voice line rental &calls to have their ADSL known as FMPF Full LLU
This can be a pain at a later point in time should you end up unhappy and want to move away from them , Plus tt customer support via the telephone is dire they may as well not have it,lol
Haha, not necessarily a problem - provided it works, eh? I'll have to check the line situation with property managers but I don't care who the line rental is with, so long as it's cheap! =D

Bt retail (total bb ) throttled uses cleanfeed and blocks web sites , DLM and its stupid profiling system almost will guarantee to cap the sync to some degree, then you have their overseas useless support to deal with should you have any problems
The BTwholesale Products via resellers can be better but their controls over it are limited , and quite a few have usage limits and peak time shaping, these include plusnet

Thanks again SO MUCH for your help, Tom
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to