General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 20:30:52
Print Post

Moving house. Looking for an ISP for gaming/downloading.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been living in Manchester for the past year and have enjoyed being with Virgin. Their fibre optic was like a dream to me. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end and I have to move to a more rural area. I'm still in a contract with Virgin, but I won't be using their DSL version. No thank you. That means I'll be paying two contracts now, oh joy.

Anyway. The exchange has:

FTTC status:
RFS date set : 30/09/2012

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
AOL LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU

Not much pops out at me there, really. Sky being my most likely bet, just hoping I can switch to fibre (through sky) when it gets enabled on my exchange.

Oh and one question. When they do enable FTTC on my exchange. Does distance from the exchange still matter as much? If so I'll make sure to get a house closer to the exchange. First world problems, eh.

Thanks
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 24-Apr-12 20:53:27
Print Post

Re: Moving house. Looking for an ISP for gaming/downloading.

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

One thing I would say is if you find that your preferred FTTC ISP is different from the one you pick before the RFS date, get a monthly contract, so you can switch. Which market is your exchange on?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-Apr-12 20:59:37
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Says Market 3 on samknows.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-Apr-12 21:06:30
Print Post

If you know the postcodes of where you might move to, we may be able to tell you the cabinets you could be connected to.

It is distance from the cabinet that matters, instead of from the exchange. But not all cabinets necessarily get FTTC enabled, and if yours isn't then tough!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 12:03:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Geez, staying in manchester would be easier, eh.

Anyway, the postcode is KA21 5EQ. However, not even that's guaranteed. At the moment it's the most likely place, but I might be moving to a small rural village with a market 1 exchange. Which is a bit scary to be honest. Post code for there is ML11 0QD if you'd like to offer suggestions for there too, just incase.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:35:53
Print Post

frown
WSARD,ARDROSSAN- SALTCOATS,KA215EQ,{WSARD}{P41},0,100%,,,,
That means not scheduled at 15 Dec 2011.

ML11 0QD doesn't seem to be even in that data. It might be in the unleaked April 2012 one, but i haven't asked.

There are some postcodes getting FTTC in your first area. Easiest if you download the two parts of the spreadsheet yourself and save them to your machine. That first one is in Part 1.

Make sure you find all entries for a postcode as it isn't in postcode sequence.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 25-Apr-12 12:36:49)

Standard User JonasTone
(newbie) Wed 25-Apr-12 12:39:45
Print Post

With the distance to exchange on cable. it can make a difference(from personal experience) Im currently with VirginMedia and i am no more than 200 yards from the street cabinet, and the main area exchange is less than 12 miles away. and i still get terrible ping and jitter but this is due to the total overselling of the product in my area, in my experience (2 years with Fiber products) jitter and ping are massively out of balance at peak times, something i never had on ADSL 2+ gaming is a no go for me between 4pm and 10pm. Yet my good friend who lives 15 miles from me and is on an entirely different exchange (but still VM 100MB like me) is 1.2 miles from his street cabinet and has very little issues with his connection as the area is less congested.

here are 2 Links that i feel show the difference friends being the first. i know this issue wont affect you (no VM at the exchange) but im trying to give a perspective on fiber product of the same type on the same equipment over different distances

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/d60b2...

and

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/fdf89...

mine has improved of recent days (kids school holiday finished) but still you can see the difference. mine is much higher average ping and max ping, compared with the other. I wish i had stayed with o2 BB as i never had any jitter on any ping test.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 25-Apr-12 12:46:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
frown
WSARD,ARDROSSAN- SALTCOATS,KA215EQ,{WSARD}{P41},0,100%,,,,
That means not scheduled at 15 Dec 2011.

ML11 0QD doesn't seem to be even in that data. It might be in the unleaked April 2012 one, but i haven't asked.

There are some postcodes getting FTTC in your first area. Easiest if you download the two parts of the spreadsheet yourself and save them to your machine. That first one is in Part 1.

Make sure you find all entries for a postcode as it isn't in postcode sequence.

Yeah, I don't believe ML11 0QD will get FTTC it's just a small village. No LLU or anything. God why is ADSL in general such a nightmare. I wouldn't even be bothered, but once you're used to such high speeds from virgin everything else seems stupid slow. It spoiled me.

I can't download those zip files as I'm on a Three dongle at the moment and don't have much data left. I'll see if I can borrow someones internet for a bit to have a look.

Probably seems ridiculous looking for a property based on broadband needs. Scary how big a part of my life the internet has become. Yet, I never complained years ago when I was on AOL dial-up.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 14:14:39
Print Post

[re: JonasTone] [link to this post]

Virgin Media cable has nothing at all to do with either your telephone exchange or BT cabinets. They have their own fibre to node system, with a lot of smaller cabinets fed by coax from the node, and from those to you. That system is not linked to the BT telephone exchange.

It is highly unlikely your friend is more than 200 yards from his VM cabinet. I doubt if either of you are even that far from one.

However, neither is that anything to do with the poor performance you are getting, almost certainly due, as you say, to over-selling.

Print Thread

Jump to