General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Roblobob
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 13:12:29
Print Post

New flat, new line, 80GB~ usage, BT or LLU?

[link to this post]

Hello fellow consumer savvies!

I'm hopefully moving into a new flat in Edgbaston, Birmingham in the next month. The flats are relatively new so don't have lines installed yet.

I'm looking to install a new line for broadband only. I am not fussed about calls or TV. I download approx 80GB a month and I am a gamer so like my fastpath profiles for tiny pings.

The ISP I am most drawn to right now is O2 as I am thinking about getting a mobile contract with them. They offer a discount for existing mobile customers.

Ideally I wouldn't want more than a 12 month contract but I know this is complicated by the fact I will need a new line installed.

So, really I am unsure about whether I want to let BT install the line and pay them line rental and get another ISP over the top, or whether to go for full LLU.

Advice would be appreciated!

Exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMEDG (flat about 1km away)

Thanks!

_________
ZéN » <n>ildram » entanet (TitanADSL) » TalkTalk LLU
HUAWEI EchoLife HG520b
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 14:05:09
Print Post

Re: New flat, new line, 80GB~ usage, BT or LLU?

[re: Roblobob] [link to this post]

O2 is not full LLU, and you can't have Fast Path on it.

You can get a line installed by the Post Office for free, until 20 May. Monthly contract.

O2 LLU will run on that, but Be would be better as that can have Fast Path except on the Value package. Also a 3-month contract is available except on Value.

Monthly contract using O2/Be Wholesale available vivaciti and ADSL24. Again, fast path not available on the bottom packages as far as I know. Possibly also from Aquiss, but from their website I can't tell.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Apr-12 14:45:00)

Standard User Roblobob
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:18:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Roberto.

How do you define "full LLU"? I thought it was when the operator takes over the line-rental and broadband.

The Post Office looks like a good option for the phone line. I guess they're just a straight reseller of BT products? In which case I can go for a standard BT wholesale broadband product or an LLU ISP such as Be like you suggested..?

Right now Post Office + the following Vivaciti package is looking good: -
http://www.vivaciti.net/product/1/home-internet/40/b...

_________
ZéN » <n>ildram » entanet (TitanADSL) » TalkTalk LLU
HUAWEI EchoLife HG520b

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:31:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Roblobob:
How do you define "full LLU"? I thought it was when the operator takes over the line-rental and broadband.
Not just line rental but takes over ownership of line away from BTw WLR. Only Sky & TT (& their resellers) do that. Many ISPs, like O2 & Orange, do line rental but the line is still WLR; that is Partial LLU.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:20:56
Print Post

As XRaySpeX says. The trouble with full LLU is getting the line back to WLR, (a "BT" line that other ISPs want), without losing the number and without having no broadband for possibly a couple of weeks.

A few ISPs are able to manage a same-day transfer, but that seems to fail sometimes and it takes a while to sort out. When it works you may find you are in a long contract. Keeping the number is usually no problem.

What is LLU?

Yes, you can have any ISP's broadband on the PO line, unless the ISP itself insists it is with them. Like BT do. As the PO line is monthly contract it isn't much of an issue.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Apr-12 08:50:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Again, fast path not available on the bottom packages as far as I know. Possibly also from Aquiss, but from their website I can't tell.

FAST Path is available across our portfolio, including bottom packages.

I'm interested to know exactly how we can make this clearer as we do state details on http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
(free activation or migration + 2 months free)
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Fri 27-Apr-12 09:07:38
Print Post

If it helps, we can provide a new phone line on a monthly contract. It's based on the BT WLR3 platform so not locked in to LLU or anything. We can re-activate a stopped line for £4.99 if there is one in the property we can utilise, or its just £79 for a new line installation.

Check out our Premium LLU packages at http://adsl24.co.uk/broadband/home/ too - as they are on a monthly package and we can offer fast-path no problem, as well as the ability to tweak your SNR. We have free setup on those packages at present too.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Apr-12 14:55:24
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Oops, sorry Martin. I possibly wasn't sure those were Be-based, and/or didn't twig the Online Gaming line for some reason (. At least I included you this time.

How about removing the word "Online" there though? That would perhaps give room to put" Fast Path/" in front of "Interleaved"? That should be pretty unmissable. What's a "Low Latency Control" though, if it isn't Fast Path?

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Apr-12 15:52:04
Print Post

Is BT FTTC not available as samknows says it is in 'some areas' ?

-

Xilo.net Office 21CN
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-Apr-12 18:32:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How about removing the word "Online" there though? That would perhaps give room to put" Fast Path/" in front of "Interleaved"? That should be pretty unmissable. What's a "Low Latency Control" though, if it isn't Fast Path?

Do gamers reference it as Fast Path though? We tend to get requests to lower latency/pings, rather than specfic than technical phrases that many on these forums would use.

I agree with Online, though...that could indeed be dropped.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
(free activation or migration + 2 months free)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to