General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 04-Jun-12 11:44:09
Print Post

leaving TT to avoid £25 pm

[link to this post]

ADSLmax, rural exchange, no prospect of LLU, 50db attenuation line but TT giving me about 4mps reliably but latest price hike too much. Moderate user say 20Gb per month and no p2p. Considering BT, John Lewis, Post Office and Plusnet. Is there much to choose between them. Customer support not really an issue but connection reliability is. Wife works from home so that's important. Also want to keep BT phone. Any words of wisdom to help me choose smile
Standard User TrishaH
(member) Mon 04-Jun-12 13:21:58
Print Post

Re: leaving TT to avoid £25 pm

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I can only speak from my own experience, but I used to be with Pipex which ended up with Talk Talk - I moved to Zen last November and am extremely happy with them.
I work at home too and a reliable connection is essential - not had any problems so far with that.
I did have a couple of problems with my own router and socket/wiring that I hadn't previously been aware of, but Zen Technical dept & customer Services helped sort that out very efficiently. (All UK based)

I'm on the Lite package which costs £18.37 for up to 20GB (topping up with extra is reasonably priced if needed). They do send an email if close to using your monthly allowance.

We still have our BT line, and we also use Zen's phone call service - works out cheaper than BT for us.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 04-Jun-12 17:08:26
Print Post

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

Zen hmm. Thanks will look them up. Think they were the bees knees a few years back.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Jun-12 17:27:41
Print Post

As of 25 May I would rule out the Post Office. At least for the foreseeable future. See this News Article.

Is your (avoid) £25 the broadband cost, with line rental on top of that? What do you pay now for each?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User MrOptimistic
(member) Mon 04-Jun-12 20:41:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Anonymous = me (from mobile).

Nope, £25 for broadband, line is with BT so that's whatever it is now extra(£13 pm ? or something). Last summer threatened to leave TT (as only ended up there via lineone and pipex) and they reduced from the old £24 pm (longstanding) to about £16pm. Then up to £21 in the Autumn, now £25.

Very stable connection though, for a long line.

Just off to check what is wrong with the Post Office as per reply above.

Edit: Just read it and see your point smile

Edited by MrOptimistic (Mon 04-Jun-12 20:43:01)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 04-Jun-12 21:30:32
Print Post

[re: MrOptimistic] [link to this post]

Have you tried phoning TT Retentions and see what sort of deal they could offer ?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Post Office deal. The vast majority of complaints about TT (at least the ones hitting the press) are about TT Customer Services and their Billing systems etc.. Neither of those form part of the Fujitsu/PO deal - probebly for a reason.
(member) Mon 04-Jun-12 21:56:45
Print Post

Retention deal ? Yes, that's what I did last year.

However, to put the bill up by 50% through a form letter with such platitudes makes me think Mr Pearson and Customer Services should not be rewarded. Perhaps they are really only interested in LLU customers, or phone bundles. No doubt I will get the full sales chat when I ask for a MAC. However, I do need alternatives and I really ought to do something to not reward the mind behind that letter.

Also, the pipex transition to TT has left me with no access to their web pages. They only sent me a letter because emailed failed they say, yet they told me which email address they were using and it's valid.
Standard User tbailey2
(learned) Mon 04-Jun-12 22:18:35
Print Post

I've been with Zen for some 6 years and find them excellent. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for - excellent speed, customer service and general help. Don't recollect any loss of service in that time other than planned or out of their control.

Just upgraded to ADLS2+, works fine (now - but that's another story I will recount later, nothing to do with Zen) and there was no charge for the change from ADSLMax.

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats
(member) Mon 04-Jun-12 22:50:47
Print Post

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

Thanks. Will check Zen out but I can only dream of ADSL2+ on my exchange (Ravensden) frown

edit: hmm they are a bit pricey.......

Edited by MrOptimistic (Mon 04-Jun-12 23:16:02)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 04-Jun-12 23:42:37
Print Post

[re: MrOptimistic] [link to this post]

A few more thoughts.

The John Lewis service is actually provided by Plusnet, but may be a better deal than Plusnet. (These things can happen).

Also have a look at vivaciti, xilo/uno, aquiss and ADSL24. Make sure you ignore all except their bog standard ADSL products, as all the attractive ones aren't available to you frown. (Probably best to narrow it down by using their phone number checkers). These all have a 30GB peak, unlimited off-peak product at a fraction under £20, on monthly contract.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to