General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrBC
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 12:30:26
Print Post

Annex M on Market 1 exchange

[link to this post]

Hi all,

BT Wholesale's checker says ADSL2+ is now available from my local exchange (some 4 months ahead of the RFS date on Sam Knows - well done BT). The exchange (Kilmacolm - WSKIM) is market 1 with no providers other than BT and no cable either.

My current connection is 8128/832k unlimited via Talk Talk Business (my old ISP, F2S was merged with TTB, I'm not actually a business customer). Not at all happy with TTB so I'm looking to change to another provider as part of upgrading to ADSL2+.

I regularly have to send hefty files so I'm looking to get Annex M to maximise upload speed. But finding an ISP that will provide it without requiring an expensive business package is proving to be a chore. Need a download cap of no less than 30GB/month also.

Any pointers to an ISP that will do this without wanting an arm and a leg in return would be very welcome!
Standard User epyon
(experienced) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:15:58
Print Post

Re: Annex M on Market 1 exchange

[re: DrBC] [link to this post]

http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/

Option 2 seems ok.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
40/2
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:43:57
Print Post

If you have 21CN active on your exchange then Annex M should not be a problem, most providers should be able to offer it (as long as they know what they are doing) to give an example, we can add annex M to any of our BT Based products for an extra £10.20 per month (inc VAT)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:46:30
Print Post

Welcome to the forums smile.

We need to see the line stats from your router if you can find and post them. Those will tell us fairly accurately what Annex A speeds you could expect from ADSL2+, and those in turn will tell us whether Annex M will be worth having.

In general, with an Annex A downstream connection of 16Mbps or less you lose about 2.5Mbps downstream by going to Annex M, with no significant upstream increase above the 1.1 or 1.2Mbps you will get on Annex A. As the Annex A downstream rises towards 20Mbps the loss on Annex M is less and the upstream increase is greater.

The short explanation is that Annex M pinches the lower downstream frequencies to add to the upstream ones, and at high attenuations there is insufficient capacity in the additional (ADSL2+) downstream ones to compensate for the loss, and the pinched ones have a similar effect when used for upstream - they may hardly contribute.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 08-Jun-12 18:16:52)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 14:09:28
Print Post

Considering the costs that Annex M incur, versus the gains (which are different for each connection), is line bonding an option?

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User DrBC
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:37:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

RobertoS, the line is nice and short so hopefully shouldn't be an issue. Router stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 9.0 db 6.0 db
Noise Margin 8.6 db 11.0 db

I'm leaning toward Vivaciti's Home 100 package at the moment, will probably go for that if nothing better pops up by time I can squeeze a MAC code out of TalkTalk.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-12 20:24:22
Print Post

You would benefit greatly from Annex M as you line is capable of the max 24 Meg Downstream on ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Jun-12 00:10:10
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Agreed. Downstream won't be affected, and as near as dammit the full 2.5Mbps upstream will be there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 09-Jun-12 18:02:12
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Bear in mind that in Market 1, the cost of option 2 is £23/ month. I'm not sure if Annex M makes it cost any more.

To the OP: You need minimum 30GB, but how much of that usage is required when you're sat at the computer, and how much could happen, say, overnight? I certainly use a fair bit each month but the vast majority is transferred overnight.
Standard User DrBC
(newbie) Sat 09-Jun-12 19:21:01
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

When I put my number in Option 2 actually comes back as £26pm or £36pm with Annex M, which seems like fairly poor value.

My daytime use is hovering around 13GB/pm right now, I already queue large uploads and downloads overnight to leave the connection free in the evening (for gaming mostly). There doesn't seem to be much money to saved going for an off-peak unmetered package unless its one where the peak allowance is something silly like 3GB.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to