General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User n3ul
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 19:27:19
Print Post

advice needed for ISP choice

[link to this post]

Hello all, just registered here after a week or so of reading all sorts of posts!

I'm having trouble making a decision on which ISP and connection to go for having just moved into my first home (apartment), i have narrowed it down but only marginally lol.

I will be using the internet for gaming, streaming netflix / iplayer, and occasional p2p. I dont think i will require a massive speed, as long as netflix doesnt have to buffer every minute. I will not require any kind of calls (wont even have a phone plugged in).

My old connection was with talktalk, syncing at about 2-3mb, with 50% of the time not being able to sync at all despite changin and checking all usual suspects. So im not overly keen on going with them.

Its a new property so im assuming theres no landline, so im unsure whether to go for a broadband + phone deal with a 12 month contract or to do it seperately.

Based on threads i have read i'm leaning towards a BE wholesale connection from vivacity (unlimited premium or lite), and a landline from them, This comes to around £28 per month, plus a connection fee. (monthly contract.)

The BT infinity 40gb + landline is a couple of quid cheaper per month, and comes with free router and connection iirc. But is an 18 month contract.

How would these two connections compare? does FTTC really make that much difference?

Theres so many options, i'd hate to be stuck with something that is unusable for 18 months. Im open to suggestions, opinions etc.

Thanks in advance, neil.

p.s this is my exchange:http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMSBH

(its 3-5 mins walk away, i am yet to locate my nearest cabinet).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jul-12 19:34:19
Print Post

Re: advice needed for ISP choice

[re: n3ul] [link to this post]

FTTC/Infinity would be anything but unusable, but we would need to try to identlfy your cabinet. That close to the exchange it is quite possible you would be fed direct from it and not from a cabinet.

If you let us have the postcode we will be able to check that, possibly with certainty but possibly with doubt.

If you would be connected direct to the exchange, (an EO line), then FTTC/Infinity would not be available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User n3ul
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 19:45:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, i have PM'd you my postcode.

Ah, i did not realise that, my thinking was that the closer to the exchange the better!

I would prefer to have a steady connection, i.e same speed at any given time, no matter what time of day etc, if this is possible!

neil.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jul-12 20:10:25
Print Post

[re: n3ul] [link to this post]

As you thought, your postcode isn't in the December 2011 data.

Re the phone line itself, how long do you expect to live there? The Post Office is only monthly contract, with a connection charge of £60.
Install or activate a new line depending on your situation, we may have to install a new phone line or activate an old one. The standard cost for a new line is £60.00, subject to survey.
I wouldn't go for PO broadband though!

Bundling the line and broadband together only really comes a lot cheaper with TalkTalk and Sky. I prefer to stay with BT for flexibility. They seem to be installing (online order only) for £40 at the moment, but an 18-month contract and I expect highish rental.
When you order a new landline we check your property to see if we can connect you easily or if you need an engineer visit. Most customers get connection at no extra cost. Some customers, just taking a BT line, may have to pay a connection fee of £40 (online special offer, normally £130). Or, if you're taking a broadband or TV package, it's included.
Don't forget to check QuidCo and TopCashBack if you think of ordering online from any big boys. You get passed through to the real online ordering with a hidden referral code, so you don't get involved with the cashback site other than to get your money!

It isn't 100% guaranteed, but I've never had a problem. The important thing is to either clear cookies before going into the actual ordering, or use a different browser and do that if you don't want to lose your existing cookies. That's because when you go to sites they tend to put a cookie in your browser's folder and if they detect that when processing the order they will ignore the referral code from the cashback site. On the grounds that it isn't a genuine referral.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User n3ul
(newbie) Sun 01-Jul-12 20:49:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I expect to be here for the foreseeable future, so im not bothered about a landline contract, just dont want a long broadband contract if it turns out to be unsuitable!

In relation to broadband, is there a great deal of difference between providers, or is it just different traffic management rules, allowances etc?

in reality are there any pro's / con's over not having or having FTTC rather than an ADSL connection?

If i can only get 12mb on a non-fibre connection, i will be happy, as long as theres low latency, and no other issues!

thanks for your advice so far!
  Print Thread

Jump to