General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sun 01-Jul-12 23:01:08
Print Post

ISP for use with Lovefilm?

[link to this post]

I've started to spend less time on the PC at home and have started to test lovefilm and netflix.

Lovefilm seems to have a bit of a better selection but seems to stream at the highest level a connection will support so will no doubt make mincemeat of my Zen allowance as after work by BT I'm getting an agreeable 3.8 Mbps

I know the answer is an LLU provider but not sure which one as I'm concerned about breaching any FUPs or racking up charges.

I have C&W, TalkTalk, BE and Sky available at the exchange but should point out I'm not a Sky TV customer

Anyone any ideas?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jul-12 23:15:20
Print Post

Re: ISP for use with Lovefilm?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

You no longer need to be a Sky TV customer, but recently they changed things so that you have to bundle your landline in with it, like BT and TalkTalk do. IIRC there are posts where that requirement has been negotiated away, also with BT. The downside of that is you have to telephone and lose any cashback.

C & W resellers such as (IIRC) vivaciti, xilo/uno, Aquiss, possibly ADSL24 have unlimited packages on the service. You'd need to contact them to be sure.

Unlimited on TT resellers tends to need the "file sharing" option, costing more extra than the basic package.

Some of the above also resell Be with decent terms and pricing, one at least offering a monthly contract.

I'd probably opt for native Be.

I assume you have checked you can't get FTTC?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User techguy
(committed) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:00:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.

I can get Fibre to the premises where I am which is priced the same as FTTC but its a little more than I want to pay and at the present time I've no need for a 100 Meg feed.

Speed is now absolutely fine, I just don't want to end up getting calls about going over a FUP as one of my colleagues who is an avid P2P user was booted from 3 ISPs for this.

I don't use P2P at all so its just straight streaming.

I'll see how my usage goes with Zen as I have quite a bit banked at the min and have made inquiries on Xilo's own forum.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jul-12 10:17:39
Print Post

Our Broadband Unlimited (through O2 Wholesale) is completely unlimited (no FUP) and does have a monthly contract and no activation costs.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Titan_ADSL
(committed) Mon 02-Jul-12 11:10:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you are looking at talk talk resellers we can do an unlimited combined service.

TitanADSL
Call 01332 412 180
Unlimited Broadband upto 24 Mbs, Phone & Broadband bundles upto 24Mbs, Fibre Broadband upto 40Mbs - Get a FREE 0844 number visit
www.titan-adsl.co.uk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jul-12 19:22:08
Print Post

ADSl24 cable and wireless service is fine for Netflix and lovefilm if you can get the speed. just under £20 a month for unlimited, no traffic management and no port blocking. i was very happy with them, the only reason I moved ISP was because i am so far away from the exchange and went away from ADSL.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALL PAY broadband
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Fri 06-Jul-12 09:08:02
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I can second the use of C&W; was with them with Xilo/Uno. Only left because I moved house to somewhere where Be* was and C&W wasn't... Be*, to be fair, are sufficiently equal that I haven't yet moved anywhere else.
  Print Thread

Jump to