General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dizzibits
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 21:09:52
Print Post

Which fibre ISP, migrating from o2 phone and BB

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Thanks again for the help. My cabinet is now accepting orders! Yay!

I've had some quotes from BT and talk talk and can't decide. Zen looks quite expensive.

I play a lot of games, download vast amounts sometimes but usually around 40 - 60GB a month.

I do prefer quality over quantity but would like to keep the price down if possible

I also have a Asus RT-N56U router. Will that still be good to use?

Thanks for any help
Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 21:27:18
Print Post

Re: Which fibre ISP, migrating from o2 phone and BB

[re: dizzibits] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dizzibits:
I've had some quotes from BT and talk talk and can't decide. Zen looks quite expensive.

I also have a Asus RT-N56U router. Will that still be good to use?

Thanks for any help

Yes, that's a great router.

It's your choice but I'll just highlight the positives of each ISP you mentioned.

BT - Infinity is the biggest, most exciting fibre optic product out there and I'd imagine it feels pretty damn good to be part of it. Also, BT seem to be constantly making Infinity faster.

TalkTalk - You can get second to none support at the official Members Forums http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ and the pricing is fairer than BT's.

Zen - THE best all-round support out of the three but it's expensive and other than the odd occasions when support is needed, it's better to pay less.

Another suggestion from me would be Sky, I currently use them and am deliriously happy with the service I get. http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/ for the package specifications. It's £20 a month excluding calls and line rental and it's TRULY unlimited, not traffic management or anything so you can just max it out.

(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 21:47:58
Print Post

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

Hi Xplosion, thank you for your reply.

I just checked with Sky, they're not currently available. A bummer as my TV is with them.

Based on what you said ill go with BT. The TalkTalk installation time put me off slightly. (upto 3 weeks for broadband and then 10 working days for the fibre upgrade)

Just for thoroughness, is there anyone else you think might be worth checking before I take the plunge?

Also, is it likely that the 80mb suggested speed will be accurate or is more possible? My cabinet is so close I can see it from my window so I'm optimistic! smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Xplosion
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 21:53:08
Print Post

Hi there,

I don't believe there is any other providers worth checking right now.

If you can see your cabinet from your window then yes you should get within 5 Meg of the 80 Meg 'up to' speed.

If there's anything else I can help you with, then just ask and let me know how the order goes.

Thanks,
Xplosion.

(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jul-12 13:19:14
Print Post

You can get FTTC from most providers now, not just BT retail, talk talk or Zen.
It depends on what you need and any budgets as to if anyone else would be better for you or not.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to