General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BobbyD
(learned) Mon 09-Jul-12 22:30:13
Print Post

Moving out into the country, ISP advice?

[link to this post]

Moving out into the sticks next month and am a little worried about my broadband options, the exchange has no LLU or BT Infinity and Virgin cable isn't available either!

I am currently with BE and although I only get 4mb download, upload is good at 1mb and the service is pretty stable. Unfortunately BE isn't available in my new area so time for a new ISP. Here's a list of available options in the area, I know to steer clear of Sky Connect but haven't got a clue about any of the others so any advice would be very welcome!

http://www.broadband.co.uk/checker/postcode:MK18+4NN

Exchange info:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMFI
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jul-12 22:48:11
Print Post

Re: Moving out into the country, ISP advice?

[re: BobbyD] [link to this post]

The main question is how much do you download and upload per month, and at what times of day, particularly Monday-Friday. Are you a gamer?

Do you have an absolute maximum you are willing to pay for the broadband? Don't forget there will be line rental as well. We have to find the best balance for you between capacity, latency and cost smile.

As well as avoiding Sky Connect, steer well clear of O2 Access and TalkTalk.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User BobbyD
(learned) Mon 09-Jul-12 23:59:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The main question is how much do you download and upload per month, and at what times of day, particularly Monday-Friday. Are you a gamer?

Do you have an absolute maximum you are willing to pay for the broadband? Don't forget there will be line rental as well. We have to find the best balance for you between capacity, latency and cost smile.

As well as avoiding Sky Connect, steer well clear of O2 Access and TalkTalk.

Hi roberto I remember you being very helpful when I moved to BE last year!

Anyway in answer to your questions:

Used to paying £17 pm for BE on top of my line rental and was happy to pay that for the good service, so would be okay with that figure again if I could get similar performance.

Online Gaming - a hour or so every night, maybe longer at weekends.

Downloads - no heavy streaming, but quite a lot of email due to working from home a few days a week. Nature of business also requires a bit of uploading to FTP, I guess 100-150 mb average a week. Other than that I would say 2-3 hours browsing a night between an iPad and laptop.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 10-Jul-12 01:32:12
Print Post

I find BTs products hard to beat on a market one exchange if you want unlimited.

Every BT connection I've used has been able to stream iPlayer, youtube etc fine during peak times. Browsing seems fairly quick and the homehub seems a very stable piece of kit.

Peer to peer is definitely hit and miss. Some people on BT see great p2p speeds whilst others are terrible. I think it's all dependant on congestion in your area whether it's throttled lots or not much.

John Lewis have a nice broadband package out also right now. Worth a look at.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 10-Jul-12 01:32:39)

Standard User BobbyD
(learned) Tue 10-Jul-12 10:43:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I find BTs products hard to beat on a market one exchange if you want unlimited.

Every BT connection I've used has been able to stream iPlayer, youtube etc fine during peak times. Browsing seems fairly quick and the homehub seems a very stable piece of kit.

Peer to peer is definitely hit and miss. Some people on BT see great p2p speeds whilst others are terrible. I think it's all dependant on congestion in your area whether it's throttled lots or not much.

Thanks, just had a look at the JL package which seems interesting.

Just so I understand correctly, as there is no LLU at my exchange will I receive the same performance/service regardless of which ISP I go with? i.e will BT be the same as JL so just go for the cheapest cost option?

Also will paying for unlimited give you a less throttled service or is it exactly the same as a limited package? I don't think I need unlimited but if it means better performance then I would pay the extra.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 10-Jul-12 11:42:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by BobbyD:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

Thanks, just had a look at the JL package which seems interesting.

Just so I understand correctly, as there is no LLU at my exchange will I receive the same performance/service regardless of which ISP I go with? i.e will BT be the same as JL so just go for the cheapest cost option?

Also will paying for unlimited give you a less throttled service or is it exactly the same as a limited package? I don't think I need unlimited but if it means better performance then I would pay the extra.

It doesn't quite work like that. I'm not entirely sure of every little detail of the process. RobertoS will have a better understanding at this...
The way I understand it is that each ISP pays for x amount of backhaul. They then share this with x amount of customers...

BT may buy say for example a 1gbps link and share this with 1000 people.
ADSL24 may buy a 1gbps link and share it with 100 people.

With regards to throttling it's very often a case of being area dependant. If there's loads of users of peer to peer in your area and it's slowing things down considerably they will throttle it lots. If your area has lots of capacity & very few peer to peer users they are less likely to throttle.

Every ISP is different though. I know BT generally operate dynamic throttling (the type mentioned above) between 4pm and midnight.

Also looking at your postcode I'd expect between 4 and 8 mbps but that's a guesstimate.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 10-Jul-12 11:45:41)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 11:56:00
Print Post

Unlimited is likely to give you a more throttled service if the only offerings are over BT's network (i.e. not LLU or cable).

If your monthly usage is under 10GB (or you can make use of unlimited overnight downloads to keep under 10GB), Plusnet's Value package is hard to beat (but don't forget they count uploads and downloads). Their Extra with it's 60GB allowance is also a strong contender. Gaming is prioritised on all Plusnet products.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User BobbyD
(learned) Tue 10-Jul-12 12:18:53
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

According to the exchange info it's serving 974 premises and I imagine a good portion of this is old village folk so not a whole lot of online gaming going on I imagine wink

For me gaming performance is quite high up on the priority list, I'm not too fussed about downloading movies, big files etc. A good upload speed would be a bonus as I'm currently use to BE's 1mb.

Until I move there I guess there is no way of finding out what p2p performance or throttling will be like?
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 12:27:09
Print Post

Upload speed options depend upon whether your exchange is 20CN or has been upgraded to 21CN. If 21CN you can get upload of up to around 1Mb depending upon how far you are from the exchange. If you are on 20CN your only option is to upgrade to Max Premium which will give you an upload of 832 kbps - Plusnet charge £7.83 per month (which is pretty much what BT charge them) for this option. The other advantage of Max Premium is that it gives you a higher priority on the BT network.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 12:44:33
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

Samknows says no WBC. (@OP. In case you don't know, that's the correct title for 21CN Broadband).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to