General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jseddonbrown
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 17:50:57
Print Post

Moving to Cornwall

[link to this post]

Hi guys,
Moving to Cornwall and was wodering if you had any advice on which ISP to go for.

My exchange:
http://www.broadband.co.uk/checker/postcode:TR115HP/

I have had a bad experience with Plusnet so am unlikely to go with them(though it was 5 years or more ago!) and have heard TalkTalk are rubbish. I am an orange customer so their offer seems quite good, but they don't seem to have the best rep either. Are BT good? Eclipse, Zen?

Bit about my needs: I need a phone line & broadband. Will be working from home and upload speed is important as I will be sending large files(1Gb or so) a few times a month. I need the line and broadband to be set up as fast as possible. I download or watch about 10 movies a month. No gaming. Stream Spotify quite often. Am willing to pay up to £35 p/month, line rental included. I will be staying maximum 12 months and may want to move after 6, so 18 month contracts are not viable.

Thanks!

Edited by jseddonbrown (Tue 10-Jul-12 18:16:54)

(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 18:29:22
Print Post

Re: Moving to Cornwall

[re: jseddonbrown] [link to this post]

Well seeing as Plusnet's website doesn't even seem to be up, I definitely won't be going with them!
Standard User professor973
(member) Tue 10-Jul-12 18:37:32
Print Post

I have just left PN and gone for two suppliers with no tie in and what I consider attractive packages.
http://www.zen.co.uk/business/voice/phone-services.aspx
With Freeola Family.
http://freeola.com/broadband/
40Gb does not sound a lot of allowance, but unmetered from 7.00 pm and all weekends.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 19:33:20
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Sorry, noob question: Does my exchange being BT Wholesale mean that Freeola will definately provide service as they are a reseller? Can't check on their site without a phone number. Also how have they been so far? Seen mixed reviews when googling. I've just had a few nightmares in the past and don't want to faff around with MACs in a few months time!
Standard User professor973
(member) Tue 10-Jul-12 19:48:53
Print Post

Yes, they will supply on a normal B.T. line. Mine is ADSL2+ but they will supply a standard line at the lower speed.
I don't want to rave about them too much as I will draw some flak, but so far their customer service has been all that I hoped it might be after reading the views of others. The speed is the same as PN which is what I expected on a B.T. line, but the pings are lower. Also they respond very quickly indeed to a ticket. I posed a question this morning and had a reply in 15 minutes. When posing a question about their service a while back they answered in 10 minutes to a ticket.
As I said, it is early days, but looking good.
http://speedtest.net/result/2054932288.png
I was one of the few PN users in our village. I would expect the same applies to Freeola/Enta. I am running every bit as well so far.
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9694/freeola.jpg
Our exchange is still rated at Market 1 despite TT unbundling last year, though you can see the result of their pile 'em high marketing.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by professor973 (Tue 10-Jul-12 20:58:46)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jul-12 20:04:22
Print Post

Hi,
The site you went to and linked in your first post only list providers that pay to be listed on their site, they do not list all providers I'm afraid so its not the best judge of what you can get and with who.
Using your postcode it shows no LLU, so that leaves BT Wholesale based, and means almost all providers can give you service depending on your needs of course.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 20:49:20
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Great thanks for the help guys!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 22:32:24
Print Post

Standard upload connection speed is 448kbps, giving considerably less than that of course as throughput. You can get 832kbps on top end products or with paid options, depending on the ISP.

You may think it worthwhile checking that side of things before deciding.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(newbie) Tue 10-Jul-12 22:54:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah I noticed that. Unfortunately, getting a better package and upload speed will take me over my limit of £35 a month frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jul-12 23:23:32
Print Post

For your postcode, BT Wholesale estimate.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Print Thread

Jump to