General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ahevans
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 12:55:33
Print Post

New ISP - non snooping/no LLU/decent bandwidth

[link to this post]

Hi all

Updata, my Exchange is S35 high green

I am on the prowl for a new ISP and would appreciate some advice based on your knowledge experience. My requirements are:

- Trying to avoid LLU as have had a brilliant experience with TalkTalk and its a pain to get away from LLUs
- I think unlimited/fair usage of bandwidth is the norm now, but if not, then an ISP with decent bandwidth allowances
- no snooping! It really rubs be up the wrong way when I find out an ISP is meesing with my traffic. Happy with bandwidth throttling technologies (I want to play fair) but nothing that is widely known to be interferring with page content or monitoring behaviour for ads etc e.g. BT and Phorm
- Cost, what ever is reasonable! I expect the smaller guys may charge more, but happy to pay given my needs.

Thanks

Edited by ahevans (Sat 14-Jul-12 13:40:17)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Jul-12 13:00:34
Print Post

Re: New ISP - non snooping/no LLU/decent bandwidth

[re: ahevans] [link to this post]

Probably a good idea to post what exchange you're on so others can recommend services you might be able to get.

LLU (SMPF - broadband only) isn't generally a problem... but LLU (MPF - where your phone line is moved) can cause some frustration with the moving process.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Jul-12 13:09:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by ahevans:
Trying to avoid LLU as have had a brilliant experience with TalkTalk and its a pain to get away from LLUs
You are referring here to Full LLU only; there is no issue with Partial LLU.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Jul-12 13:35:42
Print Post

Very near me smile

Chapeltown doesn't have an exchange. You'll either be on High Green or Ecclesfield.

Pop your postcode in here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker and it'll tell you which.

High Green is very limited, but Ecclesfield has much more to choose from. The latter though does have FTTC via BT's Network and SYDR - so you might find options there if your cab is enabled - which many of them are.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Sat 14-Jul-12 13:37:47)

Standard User ahevans
(newbie) Sat 14-Jul-12 14:37:53
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi, when I left talktalk, I had to go with an isp that did the BT line installation for free to avoid the cost of getting off LLU
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jul-12 16:09:08
Print Post

Hi,
That is the issue with Full LLU, partial LLU does not have the same issues as your phone line stays put and if you wish to leave you just require a MAC in the normal way,

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to