General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User claytog123
(newbie) Fri 20-Jul-12 17:03:07
Print Post

Moving Home

[link to this post]

Hi - I live in the centre of Norwich and currently enjoy 10Mb speeds with Virgin.
I am moving to Drayton (3 miles outside of Norwich) and have been told (shocked) by Virgin who say that I will only be able to get up to 2mb speed at my new address.
Is there anyone out there who can help me with this dilemma please?

Gerry
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jul-12 17:29:42
Print Post

Re: Moving Home

[re: claytog123] [link to this post]

Your best bet is to go with one of the LLU ISPs there: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EADRA

Sky or a TalkTalk reseller.

Don't stay with Virgin; they can only offer a resold BT ADSL Max "up to 8 Meg" product.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Tue 31-Jul-12 18:26:20
Print Post

As XRaySpeX says, you won't get more than "up to 8mb" on non-LLU ISPs at that exchange, and any no-LLU ISP is going to resell you a BT line just like Virgin (Virgin have no cable there) so you'll get ~2Mb from them too. Your upstream rate won't be more than ~0.8M either (~0.4 from some providers).

Unfortunately at distances like those that get you 2Mbit on ADSL, you'll not get much (if any) better on ADSL2+ which is what LLU providers will be using. See graphs like http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/networkin... an estimate of how the two techniques compare at different line qualities - where ADSLmax hits 2Mbit, ADSL2+ is at 2Mb too so that is probably all you can expect. I couldn't find a similar graph for how upstream speed drops off.

You are down to get FTTC at some point in 2013, so what-ever you sign up for make sure you don't sign up for more than 12 months. Though given how far pushed back from ealier estimates people are reporting FTTC rollout in some exchanges to be, I'd not pay extra for less than a 12 month contract as I doubt "FTTC:2013" will translate to "FTTC early in 2013". When you can get FTTC at that location, it is likely the speed difference will make switching over an easy decision.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Edited by dspillett (Tue 31-Jul-12 18:31:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Jul-12 21:32:34
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
you'll get ~2Mb from them too.
I take speed estimates, particularly prior to BB supply, with a pinch of salt.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Jul-12 21:50:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Because the actuals tend to be peppered around all over the place when compared with them?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Aug-12 09:01:57
Print Post

Do the people in the property now have broadband?

Tried looking at maps.thinkbroadband.com to see if someone close has posted a speed result?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 01-Aug-12 18:01:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
you'll get ~2Mb from them too.

Agreed. But it is generally true that at those sorts of rates there is unlikely to be any significant difference between ADSL2+ and the other compper-to-the-exchange variants so any estimate for one is just as valid for the other.

Beyond that knowing what someone local who you can ask for details from (preferably the previous occupants then you know exactly how that particular line performs).

--------------------------------------------------------
Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Aug-12 22:46:22
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

Beyond that knowing what someone local who you can ask for details from (preferably the previous occupants then you know exactly how that particular line performs).
Except that a large proportion of lines perform less well than they should, that often being the user's fault.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Aug-12 09:20:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Agreed, so getting the attenuation figure will help to judge that side of things.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to