General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User brookesy
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 08:06:19
Print Post

ASDL24 FTTC

[link to this post]

Does anyone have experience with FTTC and ADSL24? Do they give you some leeway on caps, or do you get charged the instant you go over?

Was trying to look for alternatives to sky/BT. Any tips welcome smile (Living in an LLU area, can get almost all FTTC providers)
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Mon 23-Jul-12 08:26:37
Print Post

Re: ASDL24 FTTC

[re: brookesy] [link to this post]

Well, because we offer completely unlimited off-peak on all FTTC packages (which is between 8pm and 8am - and all weekend) we can't offer more peak usage without charging per GB.

If you have any queries in particular just ask smile

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User brookesy
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 08:36:26
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response James smile The offpeak times I thought were pretty generous, compared to other providers. What is the charge per GB over? What encapsulation do you use? As I have some routers id like to recycle.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(isp) Mon 23-Jul-12 08:39:55
Print Post

Its £1.20 inc vat per GB, but I think it would be easier / cheaper if you just schedule anything outside peak hours to avoid that charge smile

We use standard PPPoE on FTTC. Of course, PPPoA wont work as FTTC is over PTM not ATM. Remember you get an Openreach modem, so that will need to go in to a normal router that can dial via PPPoE.

Thanks

James

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User brookesy
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 08:51:47
Print Post

Ok cool, I assume you send out some type of warning when a user is close to their max usage? Most of the day I am at work anyway, so 8am-6pm or so doesn't have much impact! Iv always wondered about the per GB charge over here, I'm originally from Australia, we have some pretty brutal caps over there (try 3GB lol) but they usually just limit you to 128 or 256kbps if you go over. Is there a reason people don't do that here? Is it too expensive?

PPPoA can go the way of the dodo! Ok cool, I'm pretty sure both my old routers support PPPoE, can check tonight.

Is your support UK based? (or even Europe based? smile )

Thanks again for answering all my inane questions!
(isp) Mon 23-Jul-12 09:04:18
Print Post

Yes, we send out reports once you reach 75% and then a daily update thereafter. Usage resets on the 1st of each month. If you buy a topup, this will roll-over each month until fully consumed.

We don't charge per GB if you go over, it's a "topup" type system. So, once you reach your limit, you will need to purchase a topup in chunks of 5GB. If you only use 2GB then the 3GB will stay on the account.

Bandwidth is expensive over here (BT!) so we have to protect it.

Yes, all support is based in England smile

James

Standard User brookesy
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 09:30:22
Print Post

Probably the last question do you do full or partial LLU, or offer both? Just in the past its been annoying moving away from full LLU frown

Thanks again for all your prompt responses!!

Edit: BT are a saint compared to Telstra in Australia smile While I really dislike copper, its not like I have much choice!

Edited by brookesy (Mon 23-Jul-12 09:31:32)

(isp) Mon 23-Jul-12 09:33:15
Print Post

FTTC is not over LLU, as it's provided over the BT Wholesale network like other ISP's, so to move away its just a normal MAC.

Even if it was LLU, we can migrate a line from full LLU back to our BT-based line rental and simultaneously activate the broadband on the same date, so no downtime - it's a lot better than it used to be, and I no longer consider a line being on full LLU a problem smile

Thanks

James

James

Standard User brookesy
(newbie) Mon 23-Jul-12 09:47:53
Print Post

Learn something new every day! Thanks smile

I just assumed because BT owned the last mile it would still be a pain. Thanks for the info!

This sounds like an interview, so why do you think you should get the job?! haha.
(isp) Mon 23-Jul-12 09:52:11
Print Post

No problem. Any further questions give us a shout.

P.S. The special offer on the setup fee ends on 31st July so be sure to get your order in before then as the current £35 setup fee will revert back to £99 on 1st August!

James

James

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to