General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 00:19:05
Print Post

Was about to order SKY FTTC..

[link to this post]

When I looked at the charges. Seems a bit excessive considering it's a 12 month contract.. can anyone explain the charges? And does BT have similar charges? It's a lot to fork up at once I'm rethinking the whole thing.

One off costs

Fibre Broadband activation fee

£50

Standard Fibre installation

Free

Broadband hardware postage

£2.18

Line Rental set-up

£10
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 01:46:51
Print Post

Re: Was about to order SKY FTTC..

[re: lowe88] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lowe88:
When I looked at the charges. Seems a bit excessive considering it's a 12 month contract.. can anyone explain the charges? And does BT have similar charges? It's a lot to fork up at once I'm rethinking the whole thing.

One off costs

Fibre Broadband activation fee

£50

Standard Fibre installation

Free

Broadband hardware postage

£2.18

Line Rental set-up

£10

Ring them up. I got all charges waivered other than a £1.50 / £2 or so router delivery charge.

If you are an existing customer they will bend over backwards to give you freebies. Literally.
If you are a new customer I think they can still offer you a nice discount smile

Forgot to mention, they're open 24/7! Which is brilliant. So you can give them a bell whenever smile

Also line rental setup? This is normally only chargeable where there is absolutely no BT line. In which case BT charge over £100 for new lines unless you go on a lengthy contract.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 07-Aug-12 01:49:21)

Standard User lowe88
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 02:02:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

If I can get that activation free waived I'd be pretty happy. Also there is no line in this house it's been empty for years. Does that mean I get charged £10 for the new line? If so not a big deal if the usual is £100. That's scary.

I have another concern.. I do tend to move house a lot. I really hope I won't have to, but if I did move house and that house never had a phone line would I be charged another £10 or would it be £100+. I moved 4 times in the last year when I was with virgin.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Aug-12 10:07:14
Print Post

Depends on what offers Openreach has on at the time, but you tend to only be able to negotiate the good deals once.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Tue 07-Aug-12 11:21:51
Print Post

As there's no line a BT engineer will have to visit hence the £10 new line charge

& if you move house it's generally free provided the house has a BT line. That's 99.999999999% of homes. They only give x number of free moves though

If there's no line you should still get a decent offer

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 07-Aug-12 11:23:01)

Print Thread

Jump to