General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lockewiggin
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 22:42:07
Print Post

New IPStream Provider? - Not Murphx

[link to this post]

I'm currently on ADSL24 but over the past year the Quality of Service has been nothing short of terrible. I've had my connection regularly slow down to less than 100kbp/s and often had pings of over 300 while in games, and I've got to the point I'm fed up with constantly phoning there technical support, so am looking for a change.

I'm trying to find a BB provider that has at least a 60gb monthly peek limit with unlimited (or extremely large) off peek usage. And more importantly no traffic shaping / management.

ADSL24 had Murphx as a provider, so I'd like to avoid any ISP's that use them. 1 month contracts would be preferable but not a massive stumbling block.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by lockewiggin (Tue 28-Aug-12 22:42:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Aug-12 22:53:29
Print Post

Re: New IPStream Provider? - Not Murphx

[re: lockewiggin] [link to this post]

samknows results please smile. (I know you said IPStream, but!)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Tue 28-Aug-12 22:56:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We're on ADSL Max (The best thing enabled at our exchange). We live around 200m from the exchange and the line can handle speeds of 7.5 / 8 meg.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-12 00:45:29
Print Post

Given plusnet have recently revised their protocol throttling to be far more relaxed, would you consider giving them a go? I'd be especially keen due to the fact their network recognises and prioritises gaming.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Aug-12 08:19:50
Print Post

there is the problem with old ADSL Max exchanges and IPstream providers , there is only limited bandwidth and a compromise must always be made .

You say you want large peak time usage and huge off peak usage but no traffic management but still be able to happily game on the connection .. news flash ! not going to happen on IPstream .

So this is where the compromise needs to be made , whats more important to you , being able to use the connection for gaming , streaming , surfing or use the connection to download the internet .

Personally as a gamer i would always go with the provider that has the best most advanced traffic management and do my downloading in the wee hours of the morning .
Better to have a well managed network over one that is over subscribed IMHO .

Edited by woweebert (Wed 29-Aug-12 08:22:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Aug-12 08:41:34
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

It is possible but not at the prices you see in all the TV adverts, i.e. you have to go to the more expensive providers.

That said most of the wholesale providers that are not BT Wholesale offer pretty poor service on the older IPStream exchanges, they concentrate on the cheaper WBC network or have their own LLU network.

Zen/IDnet for usage capped, but probably more stable latency. Possibly Plusnet or even BT themselves should be on the list.

Or consider two connections on two lines, one that is as cheap a unlimited as you can get, and another with usage cap, but better peak performance in terms of latency for gaming.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-12 09:06:26
Print Post

Many years ago I was using an Entanet Office package. because it was aimed at business's, the peak time slow down was during normal working hours (9-5). Any other time I had maximum speed and low ping times. This suited me perfectly at the time because I was the only person using the internet, and I was at work between 9-5 monday to friday.

It was unmetered downloads between 8pm to 8am and all weekend.
They didn't port block or traffic shape when I was with them.

My circumstances have changed since then, others in my house use the internet during the day time. So Plusnet Value offers me best value for money, 60GB peak useage and unmetered midnight to 8am 7 days a week.
It is traffic shaped, and there is heavy congestion at peak times on the old 20CN and the ping times do suffer badly. Plusnets 21CN network is excellent with no noticeable slow downs at peak times.

(newbie) Wed 29-Aug-12 12:19:57
Print Post

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

Well it is possible as for years I had no Problems with ADSL24. 90GB Peek allowance and basically unlimited off peek with extremely stable pings. It's only in the past year their service has gone to [censored].

I don't have access to 21cn or any LLU's. It's ADSL Max or bust. And won't get access to them any time soon as we live in the sticks.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Aug-12 12:47:48
Print Post

Plusnet Extra with Pro add-on might suit your needs. It's available on a 30 day minimum term although there's a £25 activation fee. Upstream sync can also be uncapped, if requested, but there is an additional monthly charge for this on IP stream.

Perhaps you could give it a try and if it's unsuitable then your only loss will be the activation fee?

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 29-Aug-12 12:51:06)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Aug-12 13:32:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by lockewiggin:
ADSL24 had Murphx as a provider.
Just as a point of interest, what have they moved to? Murphx was taken over by Daisy, but I thought the ADSL packages still used them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to