General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 01-Sep-12 18:37:09
Print Post

Undecided

[link to this post]

My Exchange as just been updated to ADSL2+ and i am thinking of changing my ISP.
I am looking at the Zen Lite with a monthly download of 20gb at £18.37 per month.
I am also considering Plusnet Extra Broadband with 60GB monthly usage £11.49 per month,
half price for 12 months if i take out Talk Anytime.

So basically what i am asking, is there any reason not to go with Plusnet, as obviously they
are very much cheaper with more monthly download. or can anyone recommend any other ISP.
Looking around I think it's more of a pay your money and take your chance, rather than you get what you pay for.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Sep-12 19:33:07
Print Post

Re: Undecided

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Given your usage requirements I don't see the point paying the premium that Zen require.

Plusnet should be fine for your needs.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 01-Sep-12 20:33:28
Print Post

Use the link below to find what is available from your exchange and then let us know.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

The forgot to Login anon

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Sep-12 09:30:14
Print Post

Hi Thanks for the replys, Kris I am nearly persuaded to go with Plusnet but would like some opinions on there service good or bad before committing myself. Well besides ADSL2+ just being enabled there is also two LLU operators, Sky / and TalkTalk who both seem to get a lot of bad reviews, don't know if it's justified or not.

Jack
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Sep-12 09:52:51
Print Post

Well, I wouldn't touch Plusnet with their comedy throttling and their spyware DPI. Similarly, I wouldn't touch sTalk-sTalk with their bot that follows you round the web to see what sites you visit. Sky give an unthrottled un-spied-on connection so I'd go with them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Sep-12 09:54:40
Print Post

I've been on Plusnet (fibre) since February and had no problems with anything.

Some people say Plusnet phone/ticket support is fine, some have trouble with it. I had one or two iffy things after ordering and before connection and the phone people were OK.

The Plusnet reps who are here most days, and every day I think on their Community Forum, are excellent.

That said, I don't monitor the Zen forum here, but we don't get posts in "General" or "Unhappiness" about them. You will see a lot of posts here from one individual rubbishing Plusnet, (he changed nick a few months ago so it might look like two, but one stops and the other starts so no deception by him in that respect), but every ISP gets the occasional highly disgruntled individual. There have been a few with Zen in the past, and it's nothing to worry about with either of these ISPs.

The Plusnet speed limiting at certain times of day is now far less significant. See this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Sep-12 12:36:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BatBoy,
The reason i hesitate to go with sky is that it ties me into a 12 month contract, i would prefer a monthly contract so if i am not satisfied i can leave as and when i want ( i should have mentioned this in my original post sorry ) as for the Plusnet and their spyware DPI, i wonder if one of there reps would like to comment on this and the implications as they are high on my list as my next ISP.

RobertoS
But every ISP gets the occasional highly disgruntled individual, very true and then on the other hand great praise, thats why it is very hard to know who to choose
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Sep-12 15:14:36
Print Post

.....i wonder if one of there reps would like to comment on this and the implications as they are high on my list as my next ISP.

Might be best to ask here as they look in most days from Monday to Friday.

Of course you'll have to register to post on the PN forum wink

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Sep-12 08:29:08
Print Post

My parents have been on Plusnet for about 4 years and my uncle for about 3 (I was on Plusnet some time back but moved for LLU with Be).

Normally everything goes swimmingly. If ADSL is working then there is little to have issue with. My parents line is a long overhead line so does tend to see its fair share of issues (usually caused by the wind). When it goes wrong then the support from Plusnet over the phone is not always great but usually the support on the forums (or here) is very good.

There are times the forum helps by suggesting exactly what the fault is and the words to use to get it fixed. Without the forum I would rate plusnet about a 2 out of 5 for support - with the forum I would say 4 out of 5.

The DPI is used to perform their traffic prioiritisation and throttling. It has NEVER caused an issue on any of the lines mentioned above and actually if you aren't doing P2P it can be a benefit.

Plusnet aren't the high end technical ISP they once were but for a general homes broadband requirements they are good value for money. Zen are at the other end - good technical ISP but you pay more for it.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Mon 03-Sep-12 11:19:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

When it goes wrong then the support from Plusnet over the phone is not always great but usually the support on the forums (or here) is very good.

There are times the forum helps by suggesting exactly what the fault is and the words to use to get it fixed. Without the forum I would rate plusnet about a 2 out of 5 for support - with the forum I would say 4 out of 5.

As an ex PN customer, I would say the above is spot on.
Zen are at the other end - good technical ISP but you pay more for it.

With such an ISP, it is a little like insurance. Much less aggro when things go wrong.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
  Print Thread

Jump to