General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User adonis_bimmer
(newbie) Tue 04-Sep-12 21:12:55
Print Post

Changing from Vivaciti to BT/Sky Fibre?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I am currently on Vivaciti Unlimited Broadband (25mb/£19 a month)
I had a call from BT today asking if I wanted to move my BB to them as I have the line/phone with them. They offered half price package for the 1st 3 months, but I was wondering if they have any limits?

Been with Vivaciti for last 4ish years without any problems, never had any download limits (currently around 60-80GB a month download) or much downtime with them at all, so I was wondering if it was time to move on and get the 80MB fibre, apparently I can get around 55MB down and 7MB up.

Told the woman on the phone to email me the details so I can have a look or maybe I should go with Sky instead, 12months and no data control?

Are they truly unlimited? We have 1PC, 2 laptops, 2 Tablets in the house and usually mobiles connected to WIFI so use he net quite abit.
Also their contract is for 18 months but Vivaciti is monthly...

BT...
First three months £20 then £26 from month four onwards for the rest of the eighteen month contract.
£14.60 Line Rental per month

Total of £34.60 per month for the first 3 months, then going to £40.60 per month there after.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Sep-12 23:29:20
Print Post

Re: Changing from Vivaciti to BT/Sky Fibre?

[re: adonis_bimmer] [link to this post]

BT line rental going up, 5 January.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5403-bt-line-rent...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 05-Sep-12 09:46:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Sep-12 09:38:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Tried to find a BT Broadband package that does not require their telephone line rental these days?

Same for Sky

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 09:48:21
Print Post

How about Plusnet fibre that I'm on, a lot cheaper than Infinity. (My phone is still with BT, pondering on the price rise as I'd like to keep it there). Now with only two hours per day of limiting of P2P and external FTP to 2Mbps. (8pm-10pm). All other times at whatever speed you are connected at.

250GB peak allowance, unlimited night period.

You could also look around for cheaper line rental/calls. (Re my previous post). Vivaciti, Post Office, Primus, Plusnet etc.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 05-Sep-12 10:11:09)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 09:49:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. A bit of late-night mxing up there.

For clarity I have split the post and altered the text a bit.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Sep-12 10:07:03
Print Post

If you go with BT consider the unlimited call plan with Infinity. I only pay £3 per month and get free calls anytime including 0845 and 0870.

And yes BT is completely unlimited, they uncapped their product over 18 months ago in favour of traffic managing p2p connections.

What you need to do is to do a full comparison of what your paying and what you getting.
Standard User adonis_bimmer
(newbie) Wed 05-Sep-12 16:06:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We use the net mostly around 3-8pm, that price hike is abit annoying. At the moment the Sky Fibre looks the best deal to me.
Im still happy with Vivaciti LLU lol but BT just called up saying I could get upto 55MB etc etc Although it is going to cost afew quid more. WIll have to speak to the old man about it since I only pay for web and its his line rental smile

Cheers chaps.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 05-Sep-12 17:01:27
Print Post

And whichever you go for if you use a cashback site and order online you should get real money back!

Main saving is from BT as SKY do special offers on the phone if you ask, BT tend not to. The half price for 1st 3 months and £25 Sainsbury voucher is available on line.

Quidco currently give £50 for BT broadband to new customers to BT Broadband (don't need to be a new phone customer), Topcashback only offer £20.20. The Quidco "exclusive" ends in four days when someone else will almost certainly offer an equivalent.

Quidco are also advertising a £100 cashback for SKY "Standalone Broadband Unlimited/Fibre Unlimited without TV + Talk Weekend/Talk Unlimited but the exact offer is unclear.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Sep-12 17:24:03
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Infinity Sainsbury voucher increased to £50 today

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hareng
(regular) Wed 05-Sep-12 20:43:27
Print Post

Take the 55 meg with a pinch of salt, i was 'promised' 58 meg and only 270 yards from cab. In reality throughput 41meg.

I presume these price hikes are for existing contracted customers.
Only another 13 months to go.
  Print Thread

Jump to