General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User houseparty
(member) Wed 05-Sep-12 12:03:46
Print Post

Plusnet

[link to this post]

Hello, Fttc broadband is coming here from sept 30th 2012, i am thinking of moving both my broadband and phone to plusnet.

If you are with plusnet Fttc or phone,how do you find there service? how is there customer service and technical support. any speed or ping problems on there network?.

The reason i ask, is i don't like long term contacts

thanks for any replies.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 14:44:41
Print Post

Re: Plusnet

[re: houseparty] [link to this post]

I moved to PN Value Fibre in February, from IDNet Fibre Lite. So far I'm perfectly happy with the move. Phone is still with BT.

I found the phone people very good when I rang pre and post sales, before installation. Haven't needed to contact them since, except or sending the chargeable upgrade request (below). Rep support here is good, and effective, and even more so in the PN Community Forum.

A few weeks ago I moved onto the PN 80/20 trial, as I was a bit frustrated by the 2Mbps upload on Value Fibre at that time. (It's now 40/10). Now the trial has ended I've opted to pay the £3.50pm more to stay on 80/20. See my sig for my sync speeds.

There is traffic management, but the speed limits have been greatly relaxed. See this page. The Pro option removes even that restriction.

I didn't notice any speed problems during the Olympics.
C:\Users\Bob>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=244

Ping statistics for 212.58.241.131:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms
Any you'd like trying? Or tracerts.

Don't bank on the September date for FTTC availability! It's almost certainly just a "holding date". Have you checked your cabinet is being enabled, not just the exchange?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User houseparty
(member) Wed 05-Sep-12 15:11:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I moved to PN Value Fibre in February, from IDNet Fibre Lite. So far I'm perfectly happy with the move. Phone is still with BT.

I found the phone people very good when I rang pre and post sales, before installation. Haven't needed to contact them since, except or sending the chargeable upgrade request (below). Rep support here is good, and effective, and even more so in the PN Community Forum.

A few weeks ago I moved onto the PN 80/20 trial, as I was a bit frustrated by the 2Mbps upload on Value Fibre at that time. (It's now 40/10). Now the trial has ended I've opted to pay the £3.50pm more to stay on 80/20. See my sig for my sync speeds.

There is traffic management, but the speed limits have been greatly relaxed. See this page. The Pro option removes even that restriction.

I didn't notice any speed problems during the Olympics.
C:\Users\Bob>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 212.58.241.131:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 13ms
Any you'd like trying? Or tracerts.

Don't bank on the September date for FTTC availability! It's almost certainly just a "holding date". Have you checked your cabinet is being enabled, not just the exchange?

thanks for your reply.
i spoke to an openreach guy today, who told me i can now order fttc on my cabinet, i have just spoken to plusnet and bt both say its Sept 30th, however the openreach guy told me openereach records have not been updated yet, he told me he has installed 2 infinity broadband installs on my cabinet this week already, so it does seem likely Sept 30th is looking good, maybe even before.

Thanks for the ping times they look good, just a little worried about an 18 month contact, i don't want to join and find the service is poor, and then stuck into a 18 month contract.

if anyone else has any opinions on plusnet phone or fttc broadband please let me know

thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Sep-12 15:40:12
Print Post

I only use Plusnet for non-FTTC broadband but I would rate them as consistently above average. They're not the best in the world for customer service but they're better than most and strike a good balance between price and service.

Have you seen....
the plusnet forum? http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet.html
the user ratings? http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_7...
Standard User houseparty
(member) Wed 05-Sep-12 17:41:13
Print Post

[re: xela] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by xela:
I only use Plusnet for non-FTTC broadband but I would rate them as consistently above average. They're not the best in the world for customer service but they're better than most and strike a good balance between price and service.

Have you seen....
the plusnet forum? http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet.html
the user ratings? http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_7...

yes seen there forum, but not many posts about fttc.
Thanks for your views on customer service etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 18:22:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by houseparty:
i don't want to join and find the service is poor, and then stuck into a 18 month contract.
I was similarly concerned, but as I narrowed it down to Plusnet or BT Infinity it made no difference. One of my main reasons for going to PN was that their people on the phone were a lot more useful than the BT sales people.

I signed up by phone, for other reasons. After getting it all sorted, I was told that if I did feel unhappy with things after the migration, then leaving early does not mean you have to pay the full 18 months.

First - if you take the free router, then leaving within 12 months means you have to pay for it. I don't know about deferred connection charges.

Second, leaving within the 18 months meant I would have to pay only £4 per outstanding month, not the full £16.49pm I had signed up to. I can't find anything official from OfCom on the subject, but it's apparently related to this stuff about phone and bundle contracts. Might be worth asking them?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kyber
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 18:51:19
Print Post

I am on FTTC with Plusnet as of last Friday.

Whilst Plusnet are a subsidiary of BT, I find them completely different to deal with than the BT guys. The call centre guys seems to listen and understand me. Yes, at times they are following a script but they do catch on they need to move off it. Called the BB CC (India) was torture by comparison (and I often Project Manage large teams of resources in India, so it is something about the BT CC setup rather than the people).

Even better, the forums are very active and very open with PN staff involved, responding, following up problems, etc.

Originally I signed up with PN in a work flat in Swansea whilst my home back in the Midlands was with BT. When the project I was working on came to an end and I terminated the lease on the flat and contacted PN to terminate their service, they asked if they could transfer to my new address. When they understood I didn't have a new address, but an existing service at home, they put an offer to me that bettered what BT were offering (plus I had had a more positive experience).

There were some complications on the accounting side in terminating in Swansea and switching suppliers in the Midlands (fell between two services) but they got it sorted quickly and I lost no services.

That was over Christmas last year. No problems with the service or the billing including the special discounts I agreed at the time, and also was able to do a switch to an discontinued (well, unpromoted) product that gave me unlimited use (for download, upload was slow though) and around 11Mbps on ADSL+

I ordered the FTTC switch as soon as I got an email telling me they were offering it (mid August). No problems getting the appointment I needed with BT Openreach.

The switchover took less than 30 mins from original call from engineer standing at the cabinet, to him nodding farewell on seeing I had connected okay from my laptop.

Although Plusnet sent me a basic wifi router for the new service, I continued to use my own which has both ADSL+ and PPoE (connection to the Openreach modem) capability.

Performance is excellent. Theoretical speed is 63Mbps max, I am getting around 50Mbps most of the time for download, and 16Mbps for upload. That is within first week, need to check after two weeks really.

So, I am a happy customer of PN. They do have problems, but they seem to deal with them pretty well most of the time. As always with large companies, some people get hit by lighting multiple times and have a sad story that paints a picture of considerable incompetence on the part of PN (deservedly so). Those on the forum are probably the more technically minded rather than average Joe Public, so no real feel for how they do. They are winning awards though.
  Print Thread

Jump to