General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zordon
(newbie) Sat 15-Sep-12 13:11:24
Print Post

Move from PlusNet to TalkTalk

[link to this post]

Hi All, I'm looking on advise on moving from PlusNet to TalkTalk

My exchange only has BT ADSL max (21CN at the end of the year) and the only LLU is TalkTalk.

As TalkTalk is LLU they can give me faster speeds than BT/PlusNet at this moment in time.

If speed was the only consideration I would remain with PlusNet as this will get upgraded at the end of the year anyway.

What I would like to do streaming as I have a love film subscription to get BluRay disks and this package also allows streaming. Also I would like to make more use of Sky+ Anytime and download TV episodes etc.

PlusNet have a 80GB limit, so its for this reason I am considering TalkTalk.

Is TalkTalk any better / worse than PlusNet?

Also do you have to use the router they supply?

Also are they known to block any certain traffic as I do use RDP a fair bit.

Thanks

Mark
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Sep-12 13:16:17
Print Post

Re: Move from PlusNet to TalkTalk

[re: zordon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zordon:
As TalkTalk is LLU they can give me faster speeds than BT/PlusNet at this moment in time.
That depends! What are your router stats now? What exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Sep-12 13:55:01
Print Post

Be aware with TalkTalk they will want to provide full LLU (MPF)

Have a read of this from another site's forum.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Sep-12 14:33:15
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Be aware with TalkTalk they will want to provide full LLU (MPF)

Have a read of this from another site's forum.
There's a heck of a lot of rot in that linked thread.

There can be difficulties getting back from TT LLU, but not only BT are supposed to be able to do it without loss of service, (sometimes failing and sometimes because of staff ignorance don't even know). Also Plusnet, (as stated in that thread though mistakenly at first as being LLU), the fact they are owned by BT being irrelevant as all internal systems are completely different, and I wouldn't be surprised if vivaciti and perhaps Xilo/uno can manage it as well.

However for some reason transfers back from TT and Sky often seem to leave the user without broadband for days or even weeks. Getting back from Sky full LLU seems to be a bit safer these days than from TT, but that's just hearsay from what I see on these forums.

As for engineers needing to visit the exchange, that is a complete red herring as it is required for partial LLU as well. All ADSLx broadband supply requires the line from the user to arrive at the CP's MSAN or DSLAM at the exchange, (BT Wholesale being the underlying CP for non-LLU), where for partial LLU the phone connection is split off to go to the main distribution frame and for full LLU is I believe handled by the ISP's backhaul.

In short - for non-LLU the line terminates at a BT Wholesale MSAN/DSLAM; for partial LLU such as O2/Be and a few legacy Sky connections it goes to the O2/Be or Sky DSLAM respectively; and for full LLU it goes to the CP's DSLAM.

All migrations to and from either sort of LLU require an engineer visit to the exchange. The only case I'm not sure of is migrations between an LLU ISP and resellers using that ISP's DSLAM to provide LLU services.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 17-Sep-12 09:22:21
Print Post

Hi there,

Sorry you're thinking of leaving, just wanting to point out a couple of things that you could do if usage is the main issue?

If fibre is available you could move on to one of those products, Fibre Extra has a 250GB peak time usage limit.

If fibre isn't available, visit http://trials.plus.net and select the extra usage option.

Hope that helps and does persuade you to stay, if not then thanks very much for your custom and sorry we couldn't offer the product that you needed.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Plasto
(newbie) Mon 17-Sep-12 10:27:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If your move to Talktalk is to get Lovefilm Instants via your Blu Ray player etc., forget it.

I suggest you look at the Talktalk Members forum (if it will let you in) and read all the complaints about Lovefilm Instants and Talktalk. Most of the complaints are about Sony devices such as PS3 and some of their Bravia TV devices (I.e. Blu Ray Players). It seams to be a problem only related to Talktalk so beware. If your Blu Ray has BBC Iplayer that is also affected by the problem and it as also started to affect the Crackle Free movies streaming recently.

The problem (just in case you can`t get into the forum) is that any streaming longer than 5-10 mins will freeze giving the appearance of caching. It is not a caching problem becase if the same stream is played via a PC it does not suffer the freezes. Other devices I have connected such as an Humax Satillite box will play BBC Iplayer at hi-res with no freezing or caching. It is only some Sony devices but they will stream correctly if conected to some other ISP as long as it is not Talktalk.

Some times when the stream freezes you have no option but to stop the play back and start again, not a pleasurable media watch experience. This can happen every 10mins or so but sometimes will play for nearly an hour before the dreaded freeze. I can`t remember the last time a movie played all the way through with out freezing on my Sony Blu Ray.

This is not a new problem and has been going on for several months and with Talktalks normal customer service qualities have done nothing to advise the customer what the problem is or taken any publisized action to resolve the problem. All they have done is said that they are investigating and that was about 6-8 weeks ago with as yet no response to the investigation.

There have been reports of this being linked to Talktalk trying to get Youview to work on their network. The time scale of the problems (6-8 months) seams to tie up with the "adjustments" they made to their system to get Youview to work. BTW Lovefilm Instants works with Youview via Talktalk !!!!!!!!!!!

So take care if you want to stream via a non-PC device especially Sony devices from Talktalk.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:08:17
Print Post

Re: Move from PlusNet to TalkTalk + Edit

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orbrey:
Hi there,

Sorry you're thinking of leaving, just wanting to point out a couple of things that you could do if usage is the main issue?

If fibre is available you could move on to one of those products, Fibre Extra has a 250GB peak time usage limit.

If fibre isn't available, visit http://trials.plus.net and select the extra usage option.

Hope that helps and does persuade you to stay, if not then thanks very much for your custom and sorry we couldn't offer the product that you needed.

Can't get the link to open.

EDIT

Just tried again and the link works fine now .......

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Mon 17-Sep-12 12:09:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:14:45
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Link works here

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Sep-12 11:35:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 18-Sep-12 12:36:02
Print Post

Hi Zordon,

I believe we have also offered some advice to your thread on Digital Spy.

In regards to a router you can use any ADSL router (provided this isnt locked down), you just need this to be configured with the TT settings which are available on our website.

With regards to shaping our Traffic Management policy can be found here:

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/legal/broadband-traffic-ma...

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to