General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Sun 16-Sep-12 22:20:30
Print Post

Moving to a FFTC enabled area - which provider?

[link to this post]

Moving next month to an area that has been enabled for FTTC. I currently use Primus for my landline & ADSL 24 C&W Service.

I have put the new house postcode (G68 0AY) into Talk Talk, Sky & Plusnet Checkers & they all show it as being available at the address. For some reason sky only seem to offer a 40Mbps service whereas the others are quoting 2 products/speeds.

So can I keep my landline with primus & sign up with someone else for FTTC or do I need to take their landline?

I believe the property has a BT line at present but don't know the number. Is it possible to get FTTC installed on my date of entry or will I have to be in residence before I can initiate an order?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Sep-12 22:26:54
Print Post

Re: Moving to a FFTC enabled area - which provider?

[re: AlistairS] [link to this post]

Talktalk and sky like you to take their telephone, helps subsidise price of the FTTC.

Plusnet cannot recall off the top of my head. There are offers that don't have the telephone requirement, but the price increase means that it wipes out the Primus savings

In theory can initiate a simultaneous provide for moving in date, if place is vacant. But usually is a period after then, and Openreach has slow install dates at this point in time

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 16-Sep-12 23:06:36
Print Post

You do not have to take Plusnet landline. I'm on BT landline.

If Primus can do a House Move of the landline then that should be fine. Alternatively take over the BT line yourself. Or order a SIM provide from Plusnet - I think they do them.

Sky require you to take their LLU landline, which can restrict your choice if you ever want to change to another ISP without losing broadband for a considerable period. Their 80/20 product exists but you have to ring them to get it. I don't know what the price is.

Is BT Infinity out of the question for you? BT 80/20 and Sky are unlimited usage, PN has a 250GB peak time allowance on the 80/20 product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlistairS
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 07:42:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Never even considered BT thought it would be capped. Thanks, do they traffic manage / shape?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Sep-12 08:37:54
Print Post

BT Infinity has a 40/10 product capped at 40GB and a 80/20 product which is unlimited. However, P2P is said to be throttled. You have to have your phone line with BT as part of the package to get Infinity.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Sep-12 08:43:11
Print Post

Unfortunately yes. They throttle P2P quite heavily at busy times. The times aren't specified so far as I know - it literally means "when necessary" to maintain decent service for everything else.

The best in that respect seems to be Sky. On PN I can't remember seeing any complaints about slowdowns from throttling or congestion in these forums - there are a normal number of complaints given 600,000+ customers, but they tend to be about administrative or first-line support issues. (There is one complainer who has been very vociferous in the recent past, even after leaving, but I've seen exactly that syndrome here, and at BT, and at Be. I don't monitor the Sky forum here so have no idea what goes on there).

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 16:17:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't use P2P just usenet & its an SSL Connection, so probably wouldn't effect me too much?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Sep-12 16:23:35
Print Post

Don't know, sorry. You need an Infinity user to answer that one.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Sep-12 16:34:42
Print Post

Usenet is not throttled at all.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User AlistairS
(member) Mon 17-Sep-12 16:36:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Usenet is not throttled at all.
thanks smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to