General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User richard_j64
(newbie) Tue 18-Sep-12 13:47:55
Print Post

Need Advice- Switch From O2?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I donít know a huge amount about broadband services so thought Iíd seek advice concerning an issue I have.

I am currently on O2 broadband. I signed up to it many years ago as I also had an O2 mobile.

I never upgraded or changed the service so itís now a rolling contract at £9.50 a month.

The issue is I plan on leaving O2 for my mobile, which will increase the price to I think £11.50 or £12.50, and I donít want to top-up on a pay as you go every few months to keep the discount.

Is there a better deal out there for me?

Through media consumption and downloading I use about 10-15gb a month, but would like the flexibility to use more should I need to (so I would rather no cap, or one fairly higher than my normal use).

I should add that when O2 introduced their new packages some years ago, I was advised on another forum not to switch to them or upgrade, as my service was under the old terms (before throttling and certain restrictions were introduced?). I assume I still have that old 8mb package.

How does that stand up to whatís on offer now?

I have a Primus landline which Iím currently tied to and very happy with so I wouldnít want a broadband package that requires a landline switch. Are you aware of any standalone providers who you think Iíd be better off with or should I stick with O2?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Sep-12 14:04:17
Print Post

Re: Need Advice- Switch From O2?

[re: richard_j64] [link to this post]

Most of the best deals require you to move the telephone line too, and for Sky and TalkTalk this involves full LLU, which may end up costing more when you move away from them in the future (£30 to £120, depending on offers at that time).

Primus is probably saving £5 a month compared to most phone line rental deals, so moving to a combined phone/broadband may not benefit you much.

Have you looked at Plusnet? 60GB a month for £11.49 (if in their cheap area).
o2 is £5 a month more for non-mobile customers, and the unlimited All Rounder would be £17.50. O2 might be open to discussion over the price, have you tried them, or even if not cheaper, let you have all the usual sweetners which is an XBox 360 user look attractive at this time.

If you use Freeview, and want a HD Freeview box, then the YouView deals via TalkTalk might be worth a consideration, long contracts but if staying put for a while, and happy dealing with their support online (e.g. if broadband breaks pop down to local cafe, rather than use telephone) then as a bundle it may be good.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Sep-12 14:27:57
Print Post

Please can you confirm your exchange details by posting the URL of the result of this checker?

Please can you also post your line stats from the O2 box, or whatever router you are using. Help on the O2 box here. (You should by now have that speed uncapped - maybe you need to contact support).

It's probably a Market 2 or 3 exchange, which means you could get ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps) with a 60GB peak allowance and unlimited overnight on Plusnet, for £11.49. P2P throttled to 2Mbps 8pm-10pm. Leaving your line where it is. However, that isn't much lower than your O2 price. Have O2 stopped doing retention deals? Before I left I was the same as you but only paying about £5pm.

(A possible tip. Initially, to get the O2 discount for a mobile, I got a free SIM and stuck it in an old mobile. Went on the Favourite Place PAYG plan. Month 1 of the plan you get 500 minutes to any network including landlines, month 2 and 3 you use up the £11 for outgoing calls, month 4 you top up again and restart the cycle. So really cut the landline calls bill. Doesn't work if you have an Anytime Call Plan of course).

Or if you can keep the downloads below 10GB peak, £6.49pm on PN. (Uploads are counted as well on both).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 18-Sep-12 17:04:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Most of the best deals require you to move the telephone line too, and for Sky and TalkTalk this involves full LLU, which may end up costing more when you move away from them in the future (£30 to £120, depending on offers at that time).

Primus is probably saving £5 a month compared to most phone line rental deals, so moving to a combined phone/broadband may not benefit you much.

Have you looked at Plusnet? 60GB a month for £11.49 (if in their cheap area).
o2 is £5 a month more for non-mobile customers, and the unlimited All Rounder would be £17.50. O2 might be open to discussion over the price, have you tried them, or even if not cheaper, let you have all the usual sweetners which is an XBox 360 user look attractive at this time.

If you use Freeview, and want a HD Freeview box, then the YouView deals via TalkTalk might be worth a consideration, long contracts but if staying put for a while, and happy dealing with their support online (e.g. if broadband breaks pop down to local cafe, rather than use telephone) then as a bundle it may be good.

Thanks for your reply. I wasnít aware of Plusnet so Iíll look into that offer further.

Iím not an Xbox user and donít watch Freeview too much. I also havenít yet tried contacting O2; to my detriment Iíve paid little attention to the development of broadband services since being relatively content with O2, so Iím unable to gauge what a good offer might be.

But your post has given a good indication, and if my line is capable of benefiting from the increased speed Plusnet can give for relatively the same price, then I feel itís a good option if O2 canít offer a decent deal.
(newbie) Tue 18-Sep-12 17:06:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi and thanks for the help. The URL of the checker is this http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNHAT

And the line stats are as follows:

Uptime: 0 days, 10:17:25

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.252 / 6.830

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 80,72 / 1,26

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,3 / 18,8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17,5 / 39,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,6 / 9,2

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 28 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18.668

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 61 / 41

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 43 / 29

Iíll have to give O2 a call and see what retention deal they can offer, as paying something closer to £5 a month would be satisfactory for me. If not then one of those Plusnet deals sounds pretty good.

I also wasnít aware of the O2 top up being kept as credit on your phone in addition to the minutes etc you receive. I may very well do that which should cut out all my landline calls.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Sep-12 22:56:14
Print Post

Strange figures in those stats.

They show you are on ADSL2 rather than the expected ADSL2+.

From your earlier post I gathered you are on "O2 Standard", so if still capped you should also be connecting at 8190-8191kbps on that attenuation. Not 6,830. Have you ever had faster speeds than now? In any case, as before, I believe many O2 Standard users are now uncapped for speed, without moving to the newer products with their traffic management, (and allowance cap on The Basics).

On uncapped ADSL2+ with O2 or PN you should connect at getting on for 11Mbps.

I wonder if you have ever tried the test socket - on the wall at the back in this pic, using just a filter and short ADSL cable to get to the router. The stats like that would be interesting.

Do I gather lowest cost is important? What does this checker say about your line?

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 18-Sep-12 22:57:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Sep-12 23:18:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by richard_j64:
I also wasnít aware of the O2 top up being kept as credit on your phone in addition to the minutes etc you receive. I may very well do that which should cut out all my landline calls.
Note that I said to choose the Favourite Place tariff. The write-up for that implies you have to top up every month, but that's not necessary. Every three months is what you need to keep the discount. If you miss a quarter-start month it doesn't matter except you lose the discount that month.

At the time my wife didn't have a mobile, so as well as replacing the landline for outgoing it gave her a phone to summon me as taxi-driver when she needed me.

(newbie) Sat 22-Sep-12 08:51:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes the O2 broadband package is the standard one. I have checked my O2 account now and it states ďO2 Home Broadband StandardĒ. It also says my download speed is up to 16 meg. I always thought it was 8mb as itís stayed pretty much the same for as long as I can remember. And I canít recall having faster speeds than what Iíve had now.

It states to the side of my account:

"You get a download speed of around 6.0 meg.

Other customers with lines like yours get between 4.0 meg and 9.0 meg"

And the link for the checker about my line says the following:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 31.3Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9Mbps.

I havenít tried the test socket before, but could do to see if that makes a difference.

Cost is quite important. Ideally Iíd like to go back to the sort of price before the O2 hike, especially as my Internet needs aren't particularly demanding.

But having said that, your top-up tip sounds pretty good, and I would probably rather opt for that than move to Plusnet, or accept an O2 retention offer, which makes my broadband subject to traffic management.

Iíll likely give O2 a call and see if they can lower the price without changing the other terms of my service, and if not, then top-up as you suggest.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 09:29:59
Print Post

In the past, but O2 may have stopped doing it, and they did it with hearts in mouth, quite a few got retention deals whilst staying on the legacy products. Have you actually asked, or are you just assuming it can't be done? It is important to ask for the retentions department, not ask standard support. Only Retentions can/could do it.

Standard support may not even know.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Sep-12 09:31:02)

Standard User gastro2008
(member) Sun 30-Sep-12 09:36:14
Print Post

This may be a bit late, you may have already got your deal or moved

I got 6 months free and then £9-50/month on same product as you
  Print Thread

Jump to