General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Wed 19-Sep-12 17:25:58
Print Post

Sky BB/Phone Package Or Plusnet Similar Package?

[link to this post]

Moving house soon, and, as i am with Bethere at their inflated for the speed i get price, i feel a change might be welcome. The new abode is 0.7 miles from exchange according to samknows
Will be looking for a phone deal with unlimited calls
Was with Plusnet until they started their throttling episodes a few years ago, so i could go back with them now that they dont seem as bad these days. I still have my PAYG account with them
Or i am looking at a BB/phone deal with Sky as well, but cant decide which is best in terms of service and value for money
Things in the "win" column with either seem to be a good rating for Sky (Plusnet's throttling behavior leaves a bad taste in the mouth still, TBH)
And the fact that i might not need a yearly deal with Plusnet as a still registered customer of sorts (?) so i would only be upgrading

The other solution is to stay with Bethere
Bethere is £36 for unlimited calls and BB
Cant for the life of me work the prices of similar deal for both Plusnet and Sky
Their prices seem all over the place, due to "offers" all over their website
Anyone have any info and, i know ishouldnt ask this but..........suggestions/comaparisons for the three of them
One last query would be, if i go with the phone deals with any of the 3 will i still have to pay BT anything? The phoneline might be classed as "inactive" by them. I am thinking of them charging £120 plus to re-activate the line, so that one of the chosen 3 can use it
I admit i am WELL out of the loop regarding LLU, phone and BB packages and the like, so please be gentle with me wink

Purdy
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 23:54:48
Print Post

Re: Sky BB/Phone Package Or Plusnet Similar Package?

[re: Purdy] [link to this post]

Which exchange will it be? The samknows link would be great smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Thu 20-Sep-12 00:33:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LVCLA

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Purdy
(committed) Sat 22-Sep-12 20:57:54
Print Post

Anyone?
No One?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 21:43:34
Print Post

I think I chickened out when I saw the exchange details. As you say, that comparison is far from easy. Not having been with either on ADSLx I don't feel I can advise, although I'm with PN for fibre. I moved to them from IDNet fibre, and glad I did as I see no significant difference from IDNet.

Before that I was on O2 LLU, but only around 6Mbps sync.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:24:44
Print Post

Its not so much a case of what the exchange has to offer, its more what each company offers
I was hoping to hook a contributer from each (Sky and Plusnet) to say exactly what the deals are, without me having to decipher the BS from both the companies in question

Purdy
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 24-Sep-12 09:44:52
Print Post

Check out the ThinkBroadband Compare broadband tool.
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-12 09:55:57
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Check out the ThinkBroadband Compare broadband tool.

Thanks, but that's not what i'm after either
That only compares speed, reliability etc
Its the "what one gets and how much money does one have to pony up for it" comparison i am after.
Its further confused by the fact that the property might not have the BT line "active" still
Whether thats in hibernation, or fully disabled i dont know at present, but i think it would get rather complicated, not to mention expensive, trying to get BT to re-activate it, and then get it taken over by either one of the 2 ISPs i'm thinking of going with

Purdy
Standard User ash76
(member) Mon 24-Sep-12 10:10:11
Print Post

I've used both ISPs and PlusNet is best.
Their Customer Service really is as good as the hype in their advertising suggests.
Given your unresolved issues I would go with PlusNet.
You can get Broadband Value (not Fibre) without a contract, if you pay for their modem.
Otherwise,as with other ISPs it will be 12 months.
The only advantage Sky has is "unlimited" downloads.
In all other categories PlusNet win easily.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 11:23:38
Print Post

[re: ash76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ash76:
I've used both You can get Broadband Value (not Fibre) without a contract, if you pay for their modem.
Ummmm.

Given that he is posting because he wants us to do the legwork for him (tongue at purdy smile ), I don't think incomplete statements like that help?

The website says activation £25 unless you take a 12-month term. If you take a 12-month term £40 router (not modem) is also free, subject to £4.99 P & P. You can then leave anyway on 10 days notice if you pay both the charges at the time you decide to leave.

That's why on this page I cover that aspect, as well as some other things. Value is of course a 10GB peak time, off peak unlimited package. IIRC with an option to add more rather than pay overusage charges or lock down the usage.

Standard User ash76
(member) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:42:12
Print Post

If you are going to quote me, don't take bits of different sentences and jumble them together.
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:45:40
Print Post

I've used both ISPs and PlusNet is best.
Their Customer Service really is as good as the hype in their advertising suggests.
Given your unresolved issues I would go with PlusNet.
You can get Broadband Value (not Fibre) without a contract, if you pay for their modem.
Otherwise,as with other ISPs it will be 12 months.
The only advantage Sky has is "unlimited" downloads.
In all other categories PlusNet win easily.

Thanks for that informative and concise reply. It was just about what i was looking for
TBH, i was satisfied with Plusnet. VERY much so, in fact, from 2002 and my 1st foray into B/B until they started imposing their traffic management on people in such a heavy handed way in 2006.
And, no it wasnt the actual traffic management per se, but their attitude at the time, and even moreso, the fact that people were paying £22 a month to be treated like criminals, and obedient servants, rather than valued customers. <Climbs off soapbox>
But, times change, and i notice i can get prices unheard of back in the day.
For example (and here's the confusing part, coming up) i looked at the +net site and it's advertising "Broadband & Anytime calls" from £6.74 a month Plus line rental of £12.99 a month
Meaning i will be paying £19.73 a month for B/B and phone and unlimited calls. Thats less than i paid 6-10 years ago for jusy B/B
My natural scepticism says "nah" TBH, but am willing to give +net a second chance as long as i dont get tied in to a 12 month contract
Which shouldnt happen as i am still a "customer" of sorts, having kept the email accounts with them
And RobertoS?................your face will stick like that ( smile ) when the wind changes wink
Purdy
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Sep-12 14:26:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by Purdy:
My natural scepticism says "nah" TBH, but am willing to give +net a second chance as long as i dont get tied in to a 12 month contract

As RobertoS says go for the 12 month BB contract and you will be able to pull out early with minimal penalty if so desired.

If they want your custom then any possible issues with the phone line could be resolved with the BB activation especially if you were to pay them for a line rental deal also???

Not sure what happens about the BB and line rental package if you were to pull out of a 12 month BB contract early though...perhaps the line rental only could stay with PN for the full 12 months?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 15:11:27
Print Post

If you are going to quote me, don't take bits of different sentences and jumble them together.
I didn't.

Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Sep-12 09:33:24
Print Post

Sky are offering 6 months free broadband, but plus.net are offering 12 months 1/2 price, so they're similar.

I would ask what your usage is likely to be? Sky is unlimited with no prioritisation or throttling of any kind.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User Purdy
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-12 11:19:37
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kr1s69:
Sky are offering 6 months free broadband, but plus.net are offering 12 months 1/2 price, so they're similar.

I would ask what your usage is likely to be? Sky is unlimited with no prioritisation or throttling of any kind.

I think i shall be going back to +net, TBH.
It was only their high handed approach to the traffic shaping, and arrogance that made me leave them in the first place
Not all that a big user, but just didnt like them telling me what i could and couldnt do AND pay them money for the privilege, too (£22 a month IIRC)
But, times change, and attitudes soften, so i shal give them another go.
The biggest plus (no pun intended) is the fact i wont need to sign up for 12 months with them (Not sure about the phone part of that though)

Purdy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to