General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Sep-12 12:46:12
Print Post

Fibre available at last

[link to this post]

My cab has finally been enabled for fibre products, but the question now is which provider to go with. At the moment I have my phone with BT that I pay for myself, but the broadband is paid for by my own limited company.
What I'm looking for is pricing/download allowances in line with BT/Plusnet/Sky that will let me pay for the broadband component separately, ideally on no more than a 12 month contract as I'll probably be moving within the next 12 months, and where possible to keep my BT phone to avoid contract cancellation charges.
I'm suspecting that no such thing exists but thought I'd ask anyway smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Sep-12 13:57:24
Print Post

Re: Fibre available at last

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... lists fibre only packages Nothing seems to come close to big three or four on price/usage

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 23:05:33
Print Post

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

Plusnet is excellent value, I don't regret moving from IDNet fibre.

However IDNet fibre has a 12-month contract.

It's also worth asking PN and even BT about cancellation costs if you do have to leave within their 18 month minimum terms. I may have been misadvised by PN after signing up, but I was told it was £4 per outstanding month. You may find it difficult to get a straight/correct story from any first line support though.

There is very likely to be some substantial reduction from the full price per outstanding month.

There's also the factor of high cost 12 month v lower cost 18 month. It could work out reasonably close if leaving after 10 months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Sep-12 23:06:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:35:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In the end I signed up with BT Infinity. They confirmed that if'/when I move that I would be able to continue the contract at a new property with no early termination charges. Given that it is unlimited (and anecdotal evidence on these boards suggest that that is indeed the case unless you get really silly) and the price is good it seemed like the sensible option. Throw in £50 cashback from topcashback and a £50 Sainsburys gift voucher it makes the deal a little sweeter.
Unfortunately they couldn't let my company pay for the broadband separately as the phone/broadband is sold as a package. I'll just have to submit an expenses claim for that but I was hoping to avoid doing that as I'm a lazy git smile

Edited by sjr (Mon 24-Sep-12 13:36:28)

Print Thread

Jump to