General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 21:41:54
Print Post

Bonded ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi you guys have been very helpful in the past so thought id ask here.

Im currently with FTTC provider littlebigone, but in the next month or so i might be moving in with a friend, The house he lives in dose not have FTTC as its an exchange line (the exchange is basically at the bottom of the street give or take a few houses, At the moment hes using his three phone for internet and waiting to see if i can move in next month before he orders broadband.

Now to my question because there's no FTTC im thinking about getting bonded ADSL as with it been next to the exchange were likally to see closish to 40meg still (we are both in general quite heavy internet users online gaming, TV OD, basically everything done online so faster the better really to make sure we can both do HD at same time etc)

Ive been looking and only seam to be able to find BE and eclipse, eclipse want £120 a month for unlimited usage + line rental (so about £140 a month give or take) BE is £65 + line rental (so about £85 give or take) now TBH this seams a bit steep considering im paying £35 for a 70/20meg unlimited un traffic shaped service.

Dose anyone know any alternatives that work out a bit cheaper or do you think it would just be recommended that we just get 2 separate internet connections,
If we go with Sky or Talktalk it will work out a hell of a lot cheaper than bonding it but obviously it will be a bit more fafin about having to keep switching devices from one network to other if need be for any reasons about 15-20 meg each would be more than enough so either way would work for us it would just be more convenient for it to be all one network.

As said before, Everything comes down to if i move or not but would like all the info in advance so i can let him know what the situation is (if the best route is to have 2 separate connections he can order straight away and have a second fitted if i do move, but if bonded seams the best way i can let him know to hold off for a few extra weeks)

Thanks in advance Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 22:25:40
Print Post

Re: Bonded ADSL

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Personally I would want my own line. Less potential for disagreement. You could do loads of comparisons too. smile

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 22:37:43
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Personally I would want my own line. Less potential for disagreement. You could do loads of comparisons too. smile

Thanks for the reply i always said if i went back to ADSL it would be with sky, It just seamed a good idea to go bonded to get close to the fttc speeds, But i suppose if we've got 2 lines wed at least be guaranteed as close the the max as pos each. also be handy for online gaming as wed both have individual latency and not shared lol.

ill see if anyone can recommend a cheaper bonded then if not dose seam cost wise at least to be separate

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 22:45:16
Print Post

I tend to agree with camieabz on this one. Also go with two different ISPs.

Another solution is load balancing rather than bonding. I know little about either, but it is often suggested here for this sort of setup.

If you want to pass stuff between the two of you then that can be done even with separate connections. Just need decent routers and some help from here to handle it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-12 22:59:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I tend to agree with camieabz on this one. Also go with two different ISPs.

Another solution is load balancing rather than bonding. I know little about either, but it is often suggested here for this sort of setup.

If you want to pass stuff between the two of you then that can be done even with separate connections. Just need decent routers and some help from here to handle it.

Yea i used to have sky and talktalk and used load balancing before i got FTTC, TBH thinking about it, its most likely better to keep them separate then will save a lot of money in the process especially with top cash back, the bonding was just a thought

Ash

Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Sat 22-Sep-12 23:55:17
Print Post

Sharedband might be an option for you to try. You'd be looking at £24 a month for a 250GB allowance on top of your two broadband connections. £48 for 2TB allowance.

This is the product that Eclipse use for their bonded solution.

Only problem is you would need their power routers to cope with the speeds you expect...£360 for the pair shocked
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 23-Sep-12 01:45:34
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Sharedband might be an option for you to try. You'd be looking at £24 a month for a 250GB allowance on top of your two broadband connections. £48 for 2TB allowance.

This is the product that Eclipse use for their bonded solution.

Only problem is you would need their power routers to cope with the speeds you expect...£360 for the pair shocked

hmm think ill pass on that option lol, 2 separate connections would not be so bad at lest it makes ure you get the dedicated bandwith without affecting the other person.
its more getting used to going from 70 to under 20 that would be the learning curve lol, ive had over 50meg ever since VM introduced it then onto FTTC so been used to it for so long lol but im sure ill manage, i mean people still cope with sub 2 meg so ill still be lucky with 15-20 lol

Ash

Print Thread

Jump to