General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SpikedJuice
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 12:30:51
Print Post

Unlimited ISP Recommendations For Wirral Area

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am currently on the Plusnet Unlimited package. However I'm looking to move to another ISP which also offers an unlimited service and static IP (for work).

I only have access to ADSL services (including ADSL Max and ADSL2+) so no FTTC and no cable. I am, however, 256 metres from my closest exchange!

I will mostly use the connection for streaming (Netflix), P2P and remote access to work servers.

Any advice or recommendations on which ISP I should go with would be much appreciated!
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 13:32:08
Print Post

Re: Unlimited ISP Recommendations For Wirral Area

[re: SpikedJuice] [link to this post]

Sky. No question about it. If you're looking for unlimited, boy are they unlimited. Unrestricted speeds all day and virtually no limits on usage. It's also very cheap and I've found the support to be helpful.

Stick your number in the Sky broadband availability checker and see what they say.

Edit: I was on Plusnet Unlimited prior to switching to Sky. They switchover was easy as anything and I've seen a massive performance increase (not just basing that on speeds).

Only caution would be the static IP. Sky may do them if you ask, if you need the S. IP for definite, TalkTalk are as good just don't use their phone customer service.

Sky Broadband Unlimited

Edited by Xplosion (Tue 02-Oct-12 13:35:16)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 14:19:23
Print Post

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

Thanks Xplosion.

I contacted Sky but unfortunately they refused to offer any static IP addresses. I read somewhere that this was because their packages are strictly for domestic use only - or has their stance changed?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 14:20:21
Print Post

Be 24 service from Xilo if you can get it. £17.50 a month, no limits and static IP included.

Edit: just remembered prices on Xilo site are ex VAT so £21/month including VAT

Edited by sjr (Tue 02-Oct-12 14:25:55)

Standard User SpikedJuice
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 14:38:32
Print Post

[re: sjr] [link to this post]

I've been trying to contact Xilo sales for a couple of weeks now but no reply. I can't even get through to them over the phone - the number doesn't connect which is a bit worrying!
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 02-Oct-12 14:43:23
Print Post

What's your reason for wanting to leave plusnet?
I ask as John Lewis unlimited may be an option which is basically plusnet but more like Extra without the 8pm to 10pm slowdown of P2P and no other protocol throttling.

Static IP is a one off 5 quid.

£18 a month.
Standard User sjr
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:11:01
Print Post

That's strange, I'm with Xilo on Be 16 at the moment and any time I have raised a ticket the responses have always been quick.
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 16:01:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks Xplosion.

I contacted Sky but unfortunately they refused to offer any static IP addresses. I read somewhere that this was because their packages are strictly for domestic use only - or has their stance changed?

Have a look at TalkTalk and their Plus package if you're not sure about Sky. They definitely provide static IPs, through their members' forums, manned by british staff who provide impeccable support.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Oct-12 16:04:29
Print Post

I've just checked both numbers and they're working here just fine - sorry to hear you've had problems.

Have you tried the geographic 020 number listed on our contact page?

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 16:29:20
Print Post

BT business broadband offers Static IP and Unlimited as extra options to their basic packages as well as UK suppoort and SLA's, which may be something you will need if working from home.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to