General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User prodata
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 14:57:27
Print Post

ISP/Plan options for a holiday let?

[link to this post]

Got a house (on the IOW) that we're planning to use ourselves and also to holiday let. There's no phone/BB as yet and I'm just looking for recommendations as to the most cost-effective option.

There will (obviously) be a phone line in but it won't be used for voice calls either at all, or certainly not much, so inclusive voice plans aren't too appealing (unless there's not much of a premium to pay).

The BB will only be used erratically (ie sometimes for 2-3 weeks at a time in winter probably not at all) but at other times there might be fairly heavy usage, so a nominally unlimited plan looks good and would also get around the possibility of a tenant over-indulging one week.

Any suggestions as to where to look please?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 21:40:14
Print Post

Re: ISP/Plan options for a holiday let?

[re: prodata] [link to this post]

We could do with knowing the exchange, to see what's available. Do they have postcodes? See this checker.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User prodata
(newbie) Sun 07-Oct-12 21:00:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. PO37 6FE / Shanklin

Was wondering about Plusnet - presumably they use BT backhaul etc all the way, but just with a different billing structure?

Edited by prodata (Sun 07-Oct-12 21:02:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 22:32:32
Print Post

I suggest Sky Unlimited. You don't need to provide Sky TV, but that might be a good idea as well.

Plusnet is 60GB 8am-midnight, unlimited midnight-8am. Uploads are counted towards the 60GB. On the other hand it does qualify as a low cost area for Plusnet, so the banner prices are what you pay, not just for the first six months.

All ISPs apart from Sky and TalkTalk or their resellers, associate and client companies use BT Wholesale systems, with assorted backhaul cabling from the handover point from BT Wholesale to themselves.

Plusnet is not selling BT Retail Broadband under another name and price structure. It is to all intents and purposes a completely separate company from the customer point of view. There is more difference in principal between Plusnet and BT Broadband than between a VW and a Seat. There is more difference in the products.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Sun 07-Oct-12 22:48:57
Print Post

Most ISP;s have seperate Business & Reisidential offerings. Potentialy your could be in breach of contract if you use a residential product for business ie Holiday lets. It may vary by ISP but could become an issue should it be used heavilly
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 23:10:48
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

1) I think a Holiday Let would be accepted as non-business, business use being a different concept. I will not argue the toss about that, which you will inevitably start doing, as it doesn't matter in the slightest. See later. (I hope anyone else familiar or not with this troll will adopt my attitude in this thread. The OP wants help, not a fight between Bob_s2 and everybody else).

2) As per my previous post I believe the best option is Sky LLU Unlimited. (In the real world they would never know anyway. Nor would any other ISP the OP chooses).

Non-residential use would only be detected if, for example, a business were sending out large amounts of spam emails and complaints were received by the ISP about such emanating from one of its IP addresses.

3) The worst that could happen in the extremely unlikely event of an ISP alleging that its Terms and Conditions were being violated would be to cease the service. There is no possibility of the ISP taking legal action against the customer.

4) Re heavy use, that's what Sky LLU Unlimited all about.

Print Thread

Jump to