General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(learned) Sun 07-Oct-12 23:26:36
Print Post

What speed with LLU provider.

[link to this post]

Hi, my contract with BT is up and looking to renew or change provider. The only LLU provider at my exchange in Newtownstewart is Talk Talk. I have the option of getting fibre with BT which would only be a couple pounds dearer than Talk Talk fibre and £10 cheaper than current adsl contract.. However I could switch to Talk Talk LLU services. Sam knows states that adsl2 is not enabled but adsl max is. This would be significantly cheaper for me but am afraid to take the risk of changing to TT and getting rubish speeds. I currently get around 6megdown and 0.4meg up. This is fine for me, so dont need the extra speed of infinity (with BT) but would ironically be cheaper. However I would hate to lose speed. Below are my router stats. Could anyone advise on what speed I would be likely to get with TT LLU? And what are peoples opinions as to stcking with BT and going to infinity or switching?

Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.0 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 36.0 dB / 19.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Oct-12 23:49:25
Print Post

Re: What speed with LLU provider.

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

You'll get slightly better Down sync, 9.5 Meg (8 Meg throughput), and much better Up Sync, about 1 Meg, on ADSL2+ from an LLU ISP.

But beware that you have to move your phone to TT, which makes it harder to come back to most others ISPs.

But paying a couple £s extra for fibre would seem worth it. You will gain loads of speed even you have no use for it today.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sun 07-Oct-12 23:55:29
Print Post

You are already on ADSL Max - as witnessed by your 8128 / 448 line speed. Those are the absolute upper limit for ADSL Max.

TalkTalk LLU uses ADSL2 or ADSL2+ which should see you get somewehere between 11000 - 14000Kbps with your current line attenuation.

One thing to be aware of when switching to TalkTalk is that your phone line is switched onto their equipment at the exchange (full or MPF LLU) - which if you decide at a later date to switch back to a BT provided phone service (that's most other telephony providers) then there can be a significant charge for the move (up to £130).

Personally if I were in your position I'd be looking to move to fibre broadband - be that BT Infinity or one of the many other providers that use the same technology, Plusnet springs to mind. Shop around and research the various pricing and data cap / shaping policies each provider has.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 08-Oct-12 00:31:30
Print Post

Where did you get the info that you can get BT Infinity?

What does this checker say about your line? (Blank out the number but leave the rest of that line in please). Is this your exchange?

A couple of things don't add up here smile.

How much do you download and upload a month now? How much do you pay BT for broadband, and have you added the line rental into the Infinity price?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 08-Oct-12 00:32:17)

Standard User Speedchaser
(learned) Mon 08-Oct-12 06:15:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the reply. BT sent me email recently saying I could get fibre and there checker also says I can get infinity. My exchange is not the one you linked to. It is Newtownstewart, Strabane, NI. Have checked prices through and TT fibre is only a couple of pounds cheaper though I am comparing their basic package(unlimited) with BT 40g cap. I know (apples and oranges) but my monthly average usage is about 16gig.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Oct-12 08:50:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Remember handover may be at another exchange, so it is possible for Max at an exchange that has cabinets offering FTTC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Oct-12 14:07:13
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
TalkTalk LLU uses ADSL2 or ADSL2+ which should see you get somewhere between 11000 - 14000Kbps with your current line attenuation.
But what about when his attenuation goes up by 3 dB with ADSL2+?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 08-Oct-12 17:56:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Remember handover may be at another exchange, so it is possible for Max at an exchange that has cabinets offering FTTC
My problem was that for some reason my lookup of his exchange failed smile. I don't think I was drunk in charge of a samknows, but frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Oct-12 18:24:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The ADSL checker on www.coolwebhome.co.uk takes this all into account for your these days

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Oct-12 19:17:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Doesn't appear to:
Your Estimated connection speed using ADSL mode (maximum 8 Mbps)
Normal speed range at 36dB attenuation is 5650Kbps to 7000Kbps
Estimated connection speed using ADSL2+ mode (maximum 24 Mbps)
Normal speed range at 36dB attenuation is 10000 Kbps to 13700 Kbps
The same attenuation as for ADSL!

Anyway it's the poster to whom I was replying that you need to tell.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to