General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Simon1987
(member) Tue 16-Oct-12 12:22:05
Print Post

Suggest me an isp

[link to this post]

Hi at the moment I pay about £20 for a 24mb/2.5mb 30 gig peak time and unlimited off peak from ukfsn which is an enta reseller.

Ideally I would like to get boradband bill down and hopefully go unlimited.

What isps are there? I am quite a heavy user but with a peak limit I have gone over it several times (wife on iplayer I suspect)

So please can anyone recommend a decent isp that can cope with my load
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 16-Oct-12 12:48:26
Print Post

Re: Suggest me an isp

[re: Simon1987] [link to this post]

Please can you post the URL of the result from putting your phone number into samknows. That tells us what is available at your exchange.

How important is the 2.5Mbps upload, and what are your actual connection speeds and line stats from your router. See here for help finding them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Simon1987
(member) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:09:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Not very important for the upload, I do play some games and upload the odd video to youtube though.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCFLW

here is a picture of my line stats

http://i.imgur.com/rDB19.png

thanks for your help

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:28:14
Print Post

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2246286497.png speedtest ran not long ago

am on an unlimited legacy product, but even with the new capped alternatives, would still be a good deal

when I need to call tech support, i do not get the impression that they are script monkeys, but competent guys and girls who know their stuff...

FTTC line

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:31:59
Print Post

Plusnet Extra, with or without phone. As you are on a Market 3 exchange, the £11.49pm is the long-term price for you. Ignore the 16Mbps figure - that is just following OfCom silly guidelines. You should get the same download speed as now.

They can add the 2.5Mbps upload, but at a silly price of an extra £11.20pm. (Still far less than you pay now).

Fibre is scheduled for your exchange, but the December this year given by samknows is unlikely to be adhered to. Sometimes it is, occasionally it is even early, but don't rely on it. Not all areas on an exchange necessarily get it either.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tthom
(learned) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:34:42
Print Post

Sky seems a good bet for price wise but high pings usually well from what I experenced at my brothers..

On the other hand I myself have BE broadband + Anytime landline = £36 per month a bit heavy but unlimited smile

I see your exchange is to be FTTC enabled in december not sure your cab will be activated or not..

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:42:00
Print Post

You are not actually on a 2.5 Meg Upstream profile, which is called Annex M.

Your Upstream of 1.2 Meg is typical of the usual Annex A as stated at the head of your stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:47:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ack! I must have had my eyes shut. I agree.

Print Thread

Jump to