General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fished_Off
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 15:24:04
Print Post

Suggestions for a gaming ISP in Brighton (Kemp Town exch)?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I'm looking for an ISP that can provide decent ping times and preferably no caps on data etc, in the Brighton (Kemp Town) area, could anyone suggest something? I don't mind paying a little extra for some quality (will be living approx 1500m from the exchange, Hanover area).

thanks for your time.

Edited by Fished_Off (Fri 19-Oct-12 15:24:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Oct-12 15:34:53
Print Post

Re: Suggestions for a gaming ISP in Brighton (Kemp Town exch

[re: Fished_Off] [link to this post]

Be. Don't worry about the 16Mbps, that's because of the silly new advertising rules. Connections are up to 24Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up, if the line is short enough.
Edit - multiple typos.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 19-Oct-12 16:15:28)

Standard User Fished_Off
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:16:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply, their unlimited tariff seems a good deal. Hopefully 1500m is 'close' enough to the exchange!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 16:20:30
Print Post

As you don't mind paying a little extra for better quality , then Be now o2 wholesale via one of the many smaller isp's that offer it, such as http://www.vivaciti.net/internet/1/home-internet/6/p... They offer 3 products in the premium range that are o2 wholesale(use same LLU kit at exchange)
PREMIUM /Annex M /LITE Lite is capped at 12mbps max sync annex M offers up to 2.5mbps upload sync all come with a static ip address uk support , and could well offer better peering /routing to some destinations than what the o2/be retail offerings do which could mean lower latency and also less fluctuations (lag spikes)
Also most to the smaller isp's as yet are not required to block/censor web sites such as newzbin2 and the piratebay there are also others being blocked by the big 6 isp's

Standard User Fished_Off
(learned) Fri 19-Oct-12 17:30:02
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks Tommy, that's given me something to think about. I'd forgotten about the blocking/censorship issues too..
The 4th package in their premium range looked good from the 75% max use point of view, although it's limited to 50GB/month which seemed harsh for the price, but is otherwise tempting. Did you not mention this product due to the use limit, or is there something else I'm missing?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 17:53:15
Print Post

BE Unlimited is unlimited so no worries about stupid usage limits. The Piratebay have moved to the cloud so blocking is no longer an issue.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:21:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fished_Off:
Thanks Tommy, that's given me something to think about. I'd forgotten about the blocking/censorship issues too..
The 4th package in their premium range looked good from the 75% max use point of view, although it's limited to 50GB/month which seemed harsh for the price, but is otherwise tempting. Did you not mention this product due to the use limit, or is there something else I'm missing?

That package isnt an o2 wholesale package ,from the referral to 20/21cn would suggest that it's using BT wholesale , so would be subject to DLM profiling and it's got a useage cap

Only the other 3 above it are o2 wholesale unlimited products , and are in terms of max sync speeds identical to the Be retail product ranges But the O2 wholesale products although may share the LLU exchange kit and offer the same max speeds of upto 24mbps down and 1.4mbps up (2.5mbps Annex M ) as well as the options to configure the Target SNR 3-6-9db and switch to fast path (no interleave)

The rest from Vlan used from exchange onwards is a completely different service, Peering used and associated routing is different ,

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 19-Oct-12 18:37:15
Print Post

Note that Tommy is using BE Unlimited.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User bet_here
(learned) Sun 21-Oct-12 09:19:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fished_Off:
Thanks for the quick reply, their unlimited tariff seems a good deal. Hopefully 1500m is 'close' enough to the exchange!

I'm synced at 15190/1205 on o2, who use the same network as Be. Bentham Road.
Also it's is little quicker especially upstream if I use the o2 supplied router.

HTH.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Oct-12 11:46:57
Print Post

Hi,
The "Broadband Unlimited" packages are all unlimited and provided over O2 Wholesale equipment.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to