General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wildgoose1uk
(learned) Sat 20-Oct-12 19:30:16
Print Post

talktalk and youview

[link to this post]

Tempted to take talktalk up on their £15 a month offer with the free 320gig youview box. I am cautious about transferring my line rental away from BT though.

What do folks think? I am currently with AOL UK .... which is talktalk anyway! They are one of two companies who are LLU on my exchange (rural area!)

I also wonder if 329gb is really enough and think it is curious that the box is not wifi. Is it worth waiting for a better box?

Ta

wg

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Oct-12 20:08:44
Print Post

Re: talktalk and youview

[re: wildgoose1uk] [link to this post]

320GB plenty of space unless you keep year upon year of TV series on the disk at a rough estimate 100 to 120 hours of HD material.

There will always be a better freeview box on its way, so question is whether current device does what you want now, and is there any indications that they will be adding more features over time.

The line rental issues is perhaps the bigger question, but going back after being on TalkTalk full LLU is easier than it used to be

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User searcher100
(learned) Sat 20-Oct-12 21:57:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron does the talk talk box deliver HD TV or SD?

Currently Talk Talk + with 80/20 Fibre boost
Ping test says I have 65.35 meg download 16.54 meg upload 17ms ping 1ms jitter A+ connection and faster thn 97% of UK 2nd day of install
Huawei hg532

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Sun 21-Oct-12 09:00:21
Print Post

Sounds like it is worth considering then. Will I be able to play the HD channels on a non HD tv? Silly question I know!!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Oct-12 11:38:46
Print Post

[re: searcher100] [link to this post]

Depends on what the channel is on Freeview. i.e. if it is HD on Freeview lineup it will play freeview.

The catch up services, SD or HD depending on which stream you pick.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Oct-12 11:39:47
Print Post

It will downscale, assuming the non-HD TV has the appropriate connectors so that it will plug in.

(regular) Mon 22-Oct-12 15:17:32
Print Post

Is it safe to assume that scart will do the job?

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 22-Oct-12 15:36:09
Print Post

Only use SCART if the TV is a very poor SD!

SCART is really rubbish unless you are using RGB which is slightly better but ideally want HDMI.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Oct-12 16:14:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by wildgoose1uk:
Is it safe to assume that scart will do the job?

I think you will find that HD is only available over HDMI and not over analogue such as scart, composite and component connections (due to DRM restrictions.)

The box might internally downscale HD to SD over an analogue scart connection though? However HD content can be recorded to the hard drive and played back later over HDMI to a suitable HD TV.

The older HD Humax freesat boxes did have a HD analogue out over the component connections and hence were not affected by DRM but that was unfortunately disabled some time ago.

BBC iPlayer HD 720p content can be downloaded using Linux and those AVC .mp4 files have no DRM restrictions and so can be played back over an analogue connection to a TV, burnt to a DVD, etc. etc.
(regular) Mon 22-Oct-12 16:37:53
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

I use RGB and my options are scart or s-vid. As mentioned earlier the tv is not HD and therefore does not have an HDMI connection.

My dvd does have an HDMI connection but that is only outward.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to