General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gcmozart
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 16:27:59
Print Post

ADSL Max recommendations

[link to this post]

I am at rural exchange here

I have B.T. supplied telephone line & want to get broadband with d/l allowance of at least 30 GB per month during peak hours.

BT Wholesale Availability checker says

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps."

I see B.T. offer a service for £18 per month, but the 18 month contract puts me off. Can anyone recommend an alternative in similar price bracket?

Thanks Bob
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Oct-12 16:46:13
Print Post

Re: ADSL Max recommendations

[re: gcmozart] [link to this post]

A friend of mine is on a rural Market 1 exchange and after much searching for a suitable ISP found BT to be the best one for his needs.

Plusnet "Extra" might be another alternative if a 30 day minimum term deal is more attractive though...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Oct-12 17:30:36
Print Post

I suggest Plusnet Extra.

As you are on a Market 1 exchange the price will rise to £17.99 after the first three months.
Plusnet Extra: If you live in a low cost area it costs £11.49 a month. If you live outside one of these areas it costs £11.49 a month for the first three months, then £17.99 a month. See how we compare on price in your area.
UK telephone support which is fine for day-to-day help. The Plusnet Community forum or the PN forum here for more complex stuff. Both are monitored by senior PN support, particularly the Community one. £25 cashback available at Quidco and I expect £25.25 at TopCashBack.

The "free" router (P & P 4.99) has to be paid for if you leave within 12 months. The broadband itself is on 10-day notice. Not even monthly!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(member) Tue 23-Oct-12 09:16:47
Print Post

Depending on your Off Peak and Peak usage requirementa. There will be a number of ISPs that will be available around BT price
Some offer a Peak Cap with unlimited Off Peak such as Vivaciti, Freeola and Plusnet. Whilst others such as Eclipse and Zen offer a Capped Usage. All with 1 month notice and UK support.
I use Eclipse and have no change in speed at anytime of the day.. It may not be the cheapest and may not be the best but definitely a king compared to TalkTalk my previous supplier.
Standard User gcmozart
(newbie) Wed 24-Oct-12 21:13:55
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the helpful comments. I will give these some consideration.
Standard User barker04
(learned) Sun 28-Oct-12 14:26:56
Print Post

Similar to the plusnet suggestion try https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/unlimited/

Seems to be line speed with no throttling according to the FAQ and with 6 months half price....
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Oct-12 15:06:38
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by barker04:
Similar to the plusnet suggestion try https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/unlimited/

Seems to be line speed with no throttling according to the FAQ and with 6 months half price....

AFAIK unlike John Lewis, Plusnet are quite happy to provide ADSL BB without wanting to take over your phone line.

Alastair

omadasafisho
  Print Thread

Jump to