General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ampersand
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:06:20
Print Post

Shall I switch to EE from Virgin (Fiber)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have been using Virgin Fiber 50 meg for more then a year now as they were the only option in my area.
I was wondering if EE would be better (definitely cheaper and faster) option for me. I do a lot of download and also have a server setup at home (I am a developer).

I am paying around £40 a month to virgin for 50 meg and EE offering 76 meg for £25.

I don't know if either of them do throttling though. Info about that would be good as well, if anyone knows smile

Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:08:41
Print Post

Re: Shall I switch to EE from Virgin (Fiber)

[re: ampersand] [link to this post]

The EE service is based on the openreach FTTC, so if available so will BT Infinity and Sky Fibre and TalkTalk Fibre most likely.

EE is believed to use traffic management, but not seen a live user to give feedback yet.

NOTE: With FTTC you need to check the estimate for the specific lines speed to get a good idea.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ampersand
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:11:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The EE service is based on the openreach FTTC, so if available so will BT Infinity and Sky Fibre and TalkTalk Fibre most likely.

EE is believed to use traffic management, but not seen a live user to give feedback yet.

NOTE: With FTTC you need to check the estimate for the specific lines speed to get a good idea.

Thanks MrSaffron. TBH I didn't know any of these companies doing Fiber at all. Hmm, it hard to choose when you have too many options.

By the way, what did you mean by "check estimate for the specific lines speed"?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:50:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by ampersand:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Thanks MrSaffron. TBH I didn't know any of these companies doing Fiber at all. Hmm, it hard to choose when you have too many options.

By the way, what did you mean by "check estimate for the specific lines speed"?

He means put your details into this link, Or look on EEs site for a checker but it will most likely use they BT one anyway it will give you an estimated line speed or tell youf it you can even get it for that matter and it will help make the decision if it would be worth the move for you

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User ampersand
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:53:43
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Hi Ash,

These checkers are for ADSL as far as I can see

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

I am looking for fiber optic connection.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:56:02
Print Post

Hi Ash,

These checkers are for ADSL as far as I can see

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

I am looking for fiber optic connection.

If it dont mention fibre then its might not be available to you

example this is mine

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 56.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

As you see it also gives me estimate for FTTC

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Standard User ampersand
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 09:59:45
Print Post

On BT's site, when I enter my post code, this is what I get

BT Infinity
Superfast fibre optic broadband
Great news! You are eligible for superfast BT Infinity.
62.3Mb download
20.0Mb upload Now

I am confused??
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 06-Nov-12 10:04:24
Print Post

On BT's site, when I enter my post code, this is what I get

BT Infinity
Superfast fibre optic broadband
Great news! You are eligible for superfast BT Infinity.
62.3Mb download
20.0Mb upload Now

I am confused??

Yes me too now

there this linkto the open reach site that tells you if the exchanges around you are enabled maybe try that but if BT retails checker says you can get infinity then the wholesale checker might just not of been updated smile, Might be worth ringing EE up directly and ask them to do a personal check for you to double make sure, or you could go direct with BT them selves they are only £25 a month for 80/20 too, plusnet are £19.99 for 80/20 but do have a 250gig usage 8AM-12AM then unlimited over night (im switching to plusnet my self end of this week ) so fe alternatives to consider too

Ash

Standard User ampersand
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 10:06:23
Print Post

are any of these companies do throttling? I do download/upload a lot and I need unlimited connection.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Nov-12 10:14:26
Print Post

Telephone number is the most accurate
next step is check with the full postal address.
Last resort use postcode

Postcodes can be served by two cabinets, so one part of a postcode can get the new service and another not.

Sky no throttling.
TalkTalk and BT both allow throttling of peer to peer stuff
Same with EE I believe

All of them are contended services, so at busy times what other users are doing will impact on you.

None of them have the time periods and cut backs like Virgin Media use, also upstream will be faster too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to