General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Thu 22-Nov-12 12:41:11
Print Post

Moving home

[link to this post]

A few days ago I put in an offer to purchase a property at BN12 5JA - I guess that at best it will be sometime in January 2013 that I would be the owner if all goes to plan. Of course I need a broadband service and I note the following.

Here the following services are available:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
BT Wholesale SDSL
BT FTTC
AOL LLU
O2 / Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Tiscali LLU

BUT for FTTC I see I would be connected to cabinet: P14 which is linked to exchange: WORTHING WEST. Unfortunately BT finds itís taking us longer than planned to get my cabinet ready for service.

At my existing home I have Virgin Cable supplying me with about 15 down and 1 up, TV and phone. As for a broadband service in the new property, I would not wish to have significantly lower connection speeds than at present and perhaps will have to consider what is the best option for TV services.

If FTTC is not available at the time I move in then an alternative service will be required for now switching to perhaps another ISP once FTTC is available. I guess this means discounting LLU services and avoiding long contracts.

Additionally for ease of incoming VPN connections would wish to use my own router, probably a Draytek 28xx. Also I saw somewhere that my proposed property purchase is 2900 metres from the exchange but can't locate that data again.

So what in the opinion of forum members would be my most sensible choice of ISP in a couple of months time and then later on?

With many thanks your suggestion would be most appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Nov-12 13:43:05
Print Post

Re: Moving home

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/postcode/checker.php

Suggests 5.3 Mbps average for the postcode. If Sky or TalkTalk FTTC is ok, then no reason to not take their ADSL2+ and upgrade when you can.

This closely matches what users are posting on maps.thinkbroadband.com too for that postcode. 3G looks reasonable too, as a T-Mobile test in the area. FTTC speeds show up a little to the east in Singleton Crescent.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Nov-12 14:01:25
Print Post

I guess this means discounting LLU services

Why?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Thu 22-Nov-12 14:12:43
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
I guess this means discounting LLU services

Why?

As the OP, I guess it is based on the fact that an early upgrade to FTTC will be opted for and ditching LLU at that time may incure hefty termination charges even if out of contract. I'll be using VoIP anyway so telephone call packages at "low" rates are of no interest to me. It is a good, solid, reliable, reasonably fast broadband service that is desired and if TV is an option through that medium, then great.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Nov-12 15:39:37
Print Post

Oh I see. Not all LLU is full (MPF) most is partial LLU (SMPF where the phone stays as is) so to move from a partial LLU to an FTTC is just a standard MAC migration.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to