General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Nov-12 12:55:15
Print Post

Short term ISP/telephone sought

[link to this post]

My son & his wife are moving into their first (owned) place in a week or so smile. At the moment they're on Virgin and generally happy with it.

The new place doesn't have Virgin, it's a brand new build but does have a BT line - though not actually enabled. They understand that Virgin are quoting March 2013 for cable to be installed. Thus my son is looking for a short term telecomms provider/ISP, monthly perhaps, until they can move to Virgin.

The straight line from exchange to property is 1.5 miles so I'd guess the actual length is probably 3.5-4.5km long.

The provider would need to be able to do both telephone and broadband.

I don't know his usage but I'd guess no more than 10-15GB / month.

Any suggestions for such a provider would be helpful.

Thank you.

[Edit to correct Subject and to add line length]

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Fri 23-Nov-12 12:59:00)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Nov-12 13:30:28
Print Post

Re: Short term ISP/telephone sought

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/voice/phone-services.aspx maybe - business ie. remember to add VAT but one month term. Not sure what new line activation cost is.

PostOffice do no contract option for phone line, but there is a 12 month on their BB. Any reason to require both from same provider, a mix and match in this case to avoid long contracts would produce more options.

Primus Saver is worth a look, cheap for phone line rental (don't think there is a contract). Their bundle though has a longer contract.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Nov-12 14:44:49
Print Post

Plusnet, no annual contract. Might find the small print says the router has to be paid for if leaving within 12 months - I'll let you research that.

I suggest that during the next few months they or you check out what VM cable is like there - there seem to be huge geographical variances, between superb and dreadful. Also whether or not FTTCis available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Nov-12 16:54:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Robert.

The exchange is Crayford, a Market 3 exchange.

FTTC RFS is currently set for 31/3/2013, so clearly that could well change.

The Broadband speed map shows VM speeds nearby of between 9 and 19 Mbps. So at least as good as he currently gets.

The Plusnet web site says that if on a monthly contract then it's £40 for a wireless router and £25 BB activation fee, can then leave with 10 days notice.And of course £13.99 / month line rental on top of the BB charges.

Checked the telephone line installation, it's up to £49,99.

I'll let him know.

Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Nov-12 16:57:00
Print Post

It's saying free activation at the moment, instead of the £25 fee. And don't forget Quidco and TopCashBack.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Nov-12 17:13:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It says Free Activation on the home page but clicking on 'find out more' and going to the notes it says
Broadband with a 12-month contract: There's a £25 broadband activation charge, but we'll give you this free if you add one of our phone packages to your order. We'll also include a wireless router worth £40. (You'll just pay £4.99 P&P) If you leave within 12 months, you may be liable to pay charges relating to the set-up of your service and for hardware we have provided.

Tony
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Nov-12 17:31:17
Print Post

I read your quote as the standard terms, whereby we know the £25 setup is not charged after the 12 month term. The banner "dagger" to me implies a special offer whereby the £25 does not apply at all. Bearing in mind you specifically said it was to be phone and broadband in your OP.

All it takes is a phone call from you to ask, or maybe a PN rep will join in here. Not their first port of call though.

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 23-Nov-12 17:46:30
Print Post

I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to rush in to getting dsl for your son and daughter, because the speed will be so week 4.5km from the exchange. Ask your son and daughter to check there speed using their mobile internet on their mobilephones, if they have good speeds then investigate the option to just tether their mobilephone to their computer for the 4 months. This should save them some money on activation fee's and modems by just using what they already pay for.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 23-Nov-12 17:55:52
Print Post

Re: Short term ISP/telephone sought *DELETED*

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Nov-12 18:32:55
Print Post

I'd check out three or virgin. All you can eat data on virgin £12 a month. They use orange/tmobile network, plus ultd texts and 150mins.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to