General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Auroken
(newbie) Sat 24-Nov-12 21:16:10
Print Post

Order issue Sky Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi, on friday l signed up to Sky fibre went through the order process however l noticed there was nowhere to put the MAC code l obtained from my current ISP which is ADSL based rather than FTTC.

Now l called and was told my order was rejected due to "catastrophic failure" somewhere in BTs or their system and that the order would have to resubmitted, they couldnt actually give me a reason for the issue apart from the above lve double quoted.

However, lm wondering if the issue could be one of two things. Im currently on BT basic however l wish to move away from BT and onto a better connection as 2meg is too slow to do what l need it to do however due to what BT basic is lm wondering if there is some issue there.

Or if it was because last night l tried logging into the account and edited some of the marketing settings however l had to re-request my password and username because for some reason l couldnt login with the details l had originally saved. could have editing the settings and requesting password/username have caused an issue?

Has anyone else had any issues joining Sky fibre and had similar issues?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 24-Nov-12 23:36:33
Print Post

Re: Order issue Sky Fibre

[re: Auroken] [link to this post]

BT Basic - is that the minimal phone service that still allows broadband? If so, does it restrict you to BT Broadband?

Are you aware that Sky FTTC requires you to have your line rental and calls with Sky? That's why there is no space for the MAC, because a MAC is only for migrating broadband with a "BT" (not necessarily BT Retail) line. Because Sky will take the line off "BT" the broadband automatically ceases and Sky provide it afresh. In other words it isn't a migration.

I haven't a clue about the settings and username/password side on BT, sorry.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Auroken
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 01:11:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

With regards to BT basic, l wasnt limited to the ISP l chose at the time price as well as contract length was an issue to me so l chose a highly rated ISP (Aquiss) which had both 1month contract and payment methods that allowed me to pay them with paypal which suited me greatly as l could manage my finances better.

And yes l was aware that ld have to move my line to Sky, part of the reason l chose them was to get away from BT since sky provided the pricey extras l wanted (caller display etc) much cheaper that coupled with the fact that priced of using BT basic costs more to call out considering a couple of the bills lve had in the past (which is why l rarely used the phone at all).

However, everyone lve asked (my current and hopefully new ISP) did mention l would need a MAC code and l made it obvious l was moving from a ADSL to FTTC based provider, but as l said previously lm wondering if there is some sort of block on moving the line away from BT for BT Basic customers because they couldnt give me a reason for the issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Nov-12 12:14:18
Print Post

Always get the MAC, as it signals the intention to migrate, but whether the gaining provider needs it is another matter.

It is not used for a move to Sky for ADSL or FTTC because both are a full LLU service.

Have you actually called Sky? When I moved from TT to Sky I had to do it via the phone, and BT Basic is such a rare line rental case that it may need to be dealt with by a human

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Auroken
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 17:36:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

well obviously l originally signed up using their online order form, however yes l did chat to an advisor the morning after.. but being a weekend not many fibre staff were in so the rep said he would call back on monday to resubmit the order. l should find out more tomorrow l guess.
Standard User Auroken
(newbie) Mon 26-Nov-12 08:54:27
Print Post

just an update, after much online researching l finally found the reason for my issues....

its BT Basic.. the information was so well hidden in the T&Cs that l easily missed it, lve now changed to a normal tariff and resubmitted my order with Sky, l should have likely waited till after lunch but l called early to see if l could change my call back time but they have resubmitted my order, lm hoping it goes through this time!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Nov-12 14:12:44
Print Post

What was the restriction with BT Basic phone? Is it that you can only have BT BB on it?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Nov-12 15:24:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes I've seen this issue a few times.

At a very minimum a service via BT wholesale. Although I believe it's just BT BB allowed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Nov-12 20:09:38
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:

At a very minimum a service via BT wholesale. Although I believe it's just BT BB allowed.
Errr?

I asked the OP this at the start, and he replied
With regards to BT basic, l wasnt limited to the ISP l chose at the time price as well as contract length was an issue to me so l chose a highly rated ISP (Aquiss) which had both 1month contract and payment methods that allowed me to pay them with paypal which suited me greatly as l could manage my finances better.
As the line is to be moved to LLU, there is some other reason. Probably purely the systems can't cope with a line move from BT Basic.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Auroken
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 12:34:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As the line is to be moved to LLU, there is some other reason. Probably purely the systems can't cope with a line move from BT Basic.

indeed, it took me a while but l found it was an incompatible service only took 20mins to remove the restriction from the line.

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:

incorrect, as long as the line stays with BT the ADSL service can be with anyone, my current service is with Aquiss, currently lm on a C&W based service they used to resell (tho l think they have dropped that now and only resell O2 and BT based products now as C&W were taking too long to deal with faults or something)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to