We moved in to a brand-new house in 1968, complete with a connected Master Socket of the period, wired right back to the exchange, as was all the other houses on the estate.
We were the first residents; and the estate took about 6 years to fill, 77 houses, about 1300 metres duct-length from the exchange.
We did not achieve a working phone until 1972, although "essential worker" etc, purely incidental to the old Strowger system being replaced by the then new cross-bar type.
The old master socket was the variety with a half-inch square hole in the middle, with the contacts being one on each side of the square. Very crude and clumsy compared with today's BTO Master Sockets and incomparable with mobile phone connectors etc.