General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fizzygood
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 11:35:33
Print Post

Limited options due to exchange - which ISP?

[link to this post]

We go through a tiny exchange with few residential LLUs (CLWOO) so our ISP options are basically limited to BT, BT resellers and Sky. No fibre, just ADSL/ADSL Max. There are a few other LLUs (C&W, Edge, Pipex), but I don't think they do residential.

Currently we're struggling with a 20 GB download quota in our flatshare, so obviously we want to up that, preferably to unlimited, preferably no traffic shaping, a router which is not locked down, etc, etc.

We plan on keeping our telephone line with BT regardless.

Any suggestions on which ISPs we should look into?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 11:48:35
Print Post

Re: Limited options due to exchange - which ISP?

[re: fizzygood] [link to this post]

Keeping phone with BT Retail rules out Sky

The smaller resellers who have used Entanet in the past, may be able to offer over the C&W LLU network.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fizzygood
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 11:59:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Keeping phone with BT Retail rules out Sky

OK, useful to know.

The smaller resellers who have used Entanet in the past, may be able to offer over the C&W LLU network.

Did Entanet get bought out by C&W, or did the resellers move over en masse from Entanet to C&W or something? How can I find out who is reselling C&W? Any particular recommendations here, or is it likely to be less hassle just to go with a BT reseller?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 14:46:07
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp.html is where you will find more discussion about them

Entanet is still entanet, but the small resellers are now often doing different packages based on different providers in more locations.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 14:47:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

People like Zen who use the BT Wholesale network can do you 100GB a month for £25 a month, and no shaping, choice of hardware if you wish.

All these little nice to haves do mean paying a fair bit more than the usual headline advert prices

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Dec-12 17:14:27
Print Post

I think we need to know your line stats from your existing router. That way we can tell if you would get much greater speed from a C & W reseller, as it should be ADSL2+. See here for help.

What router is it anyway, and which ISP are you with? Is the router locked to them?

C & W resellers:- try vivaciti, I think xilo, maybe ADSL24 but I'm not sure now. Putting your phone number into their checkers should establish if they have it, from the speeds/packages they come up with.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:17:58
Print Post

A 20gig download limit is not that great so you should not really have any issues with that regardless of if the data use is peak or off peak.
What are your current line stats as this will show if you will find any benefit of going to ADSL2+ or not.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to