General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vf12vf
(learned) Tue 11-Dec-12 21:08:29
Print Post

Which Fibre Provider

[link to this post]

Hey Guys, as the title sugests i now have a Fibre enabled exchange and i am looking to get it.
so far i have found only 3 suppliers which are the mainstream ones, which would you guys recommend to get or to stay clear of...?

Sky

EE

Talk Talk

your suggestions are appreciated smile

Thx
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:22:18
Print Post

Re: Which Fibre Provider

[re: vf12vf] [link to this post]

Have you ever heard of BT?

How much download allowance do you need? And please don't say unlimited just because that's easiest tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 11-Dec-12 22:32:44
Print Post

As a BT Infinity user, I'd recommend Sky. But a lot depends on your specific requirements.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Dec-12 00:20:27
Print Post

With Sky no problems on their 40/10 product for £20 a month.

Gamer, average downloader - 10-20gb a month.

Ping times good and seen no slowdowns.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Dec-12 01:36:46
Print Post

With Sky and they're perfect. Very happy on their 80/20 service.

No throttling on anything at all ever.
Standard User vf12vf
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-12 07:50:25
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

thanks guys, i was teering towards Sky but been having trouble trying to get details about ordering.
Thier customers services confirm that the products and exchange are available but they always direct me to thier website to order, hwoever thier website says that fibre isnt available yet! so i cant order it, 5 emails and still not resolved....waiting to hear back again....
Standard User _Resonance_
(learned) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:30:45
Print Post

Another vote for Sky. I'm in there 40/10 fibre unlimited package. Works great, good speeds, good pings, no slowdowns.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Dec-12 16:17:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

All these votes for Sky fibre (no throttling etc) means I will stick with Sky for my fibre when my exchange is given the FTTC treatment next year.
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 17:04:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm in similar position of choosing a Fibre Optic ISP since I'm in rolling monthly contract with O2 at the moment. O2 isn't bad for my connection but it doesn't have fibre!!! I have been observing various potential Fibre ISPs in my area, including BT Infinity 2, Sky Extra-Fibre, and PlusNet. I was initially leaning towards Sky Extra-fibre UNTIL I seen this in the Sky Forum :

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Fibre-Broadband/Half...

This "Half-speed" issue seems to be happening randomly and been happening for quite a few months now. I'm not scaremongering but it does make me hesitating to pick SKY until their issues can be fully resolved'. PlusNet seems to be fine EXCEPT their 250GB cap per month does worry me as my family collectedly would tend to use around 7 to 8GB daily, which is around 240GB per month at the moment. However I have plan to try Netfix for streaming movies in near future though! BT Infinity is a mixed-bag as well.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 00:51:23
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

Plusnet seems to be going Unlimited.

See link in BatBoy's post.

I've posted on the PN Community Forums asking for clearer information, but I expect the article is a leaked Press Release so we won't hear more till Wednesday.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to