General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 01:03:16
Print Post

Moving House, which ISP?

[link to this post]

Have been happy for the last couple of years running 2 unlimited lines, one with Plusnet for my sons gaming and a Sky phone/broadband/TV package for everything else.

However, due to health problems we are downsizing and moving to a bungalow. It's on the Sacriston exchange NESAC which is 21CN WBC enabled but only has Sky and Talk Talk LLU.

Now comes the problem, I was going to keep the Sky package and rang them about moving house, they say they can't get an Openreach appointment for a new line (it does have an existing one) until Jan 31st!, being practically housebound disabled myself and also being the sole carer for my Autistic son I need the phone line connected ready for when we move (Jan 12/13th). We do all our grocery shopping etc. by Internet and rely heavily on the phone for support services. I would have thought that by giving them 7 weeks notice they could have managed it easily!.

Sky are adamant that Openreach are not playing fair with them and this seems to be the case as Talk Talk say they can have a line installed in about 2 weeks or by Jan 4th at the very latest.

I'm not too bothered about loosing the Sky TV side as Freeview will do, we do need a fairly high usage as both my kids watch a lot of TV via X-Box etc.. Given the limited choice of providers on the exchange who would people recommend as a provider, I've heard fairly bad things about Talk Talk but they are looking like the better option with the Plus TV, broadband & phone deal that's on offer at £30.50pm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's room for all of Gods creatures ...... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 14-Dec-12 03:47:38
Print Post

Re: Moving House, which ISP?

[re: jeff1106uk] [link to this post]

Have you checked for fibre.

Also BT are not not too bad and can get things installed quickly in general
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 08:52:17
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Fibre not available on NESAC tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 09:01:01
Print Post

Do you mean the existing line is working, or just there has been a line?

I didn't know Plusnet did an unlimited service, but have you asked about a house move for that? Would you be able to live with just the one connection for the two and a half weeks weeks from Jan 12 to Jan 31?

How quickly could the Post Office install a line, if the second phone line is the issue rather than the internet on it? Theirs is only a monthly contract so you could get Sky on that. Order as soon as the line is installed, (actually probably three days later), and the worst that happens is you pay rental to both for a short period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 09:37:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for the confusion,

Current house has 2 lines, one with Plusnet one with Sky, on moving we will downsize to 1 line.

New house has a line installed (BT socket in hallway, wires from house to BT Pole) but both Sky and TalkTalk say they can't use it and need to put a new line in.

Plusnet could be an option as th exchange is 21CN WBC enabled, the Unlimited package I have with them is an older product which I have had for a 5 years but they want me to move to a capped offering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's room for all of Gods creatures ...... right next to the mashed potatoes!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 10:26:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by jeff1106uk:
Current house has 2 lines, one with Plusnet one with Sky, on moving we will downsize to 1 line.
Ah smile.
New house has a line installed (BT socket in hallway, wires from house to BT Pole) but both Sky and TalkTalk say they can't use it and need to put a new line in.
That sounds as though it has an existing "ISP tag" on it for broadband. They should be able to get that removed. Unless they simply mean it has been disconnected so needs reconnection.
Plusnet could be an option as th exchange is 21CN WBC enabled, the Unlimited package I have with them is an older product which I have had for a 5 years but they want me to move to a capped offering.
Maybe you are talking to the wrong level of support. Have you asked in the Community forums? A House Move is almost certainly part of your T & Cs from way back smile. Is it an ADSL2+ connection you have now on PN, so it can't be argued you would be upgrading?

Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 10:59:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Fairly sure it's ADSL2+ as the upload speed went up to 992K after the current exchange was 21CN enabled last year. The other problem with Plusnet is the price, as I've had it for 5 years each time it's been renewed they've said they were increasing the cost, currently £39.41 for unlimited and basic line rental, I got that reduced to £27 last time by saying I'm leaving!.

The TalkTalk Plus TV package is only £3pm more and includes anytime calls and the TV package, I'm just wary of TalkTalk as I've dealt with their useless support for family and friends who have had problems.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Dec-12 11:09:37
Print Post

So do you trust TalkTalk's estimate for installing a new line?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jeff1106uk
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 11:12:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Got exactly the same time frame from Plusnet so it should be OK, Sky said they were sorry but Openreach were the problem, I have 7 weeks until we move so that should be enough time.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Dec-12 12:00:38
Print Post

It could be that the Sky kit at the exchange is full, and they are waiting for Openreach to make provision for more. That could well involve a longer timeframe.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to