General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User StuMcBill
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:00:32
Print Post

Questions regarding Sky Broadband and talk

[link to this post]

I currently have BT Line Rental with a 60Gb Plusnet broadband provision, however, I am moving house soon and I was thinking about moving & consolidating my Broadband & Phone provider.

I am currently considering Sky, as I have a Sky+HD subscription with the TV On Demand service, and would like to utilise the Unlimited capability.

I just wondered if anyone had any good / bad experiences with Sky? I will mainly be using my broadband for general internet surfing, occasional gaming, TV On Demand (Sky & Netflix) file downloads (a bit of p2p sharing, but not much).

I noticed that with Sky, I would have to take Sky Talk line rental, however, I have a couple of questions regarding it.

I am moving to Aberdeen, will my Sky Line still have an Aberdeen area code (01224)?
99% of our phone calls on our land line are from the other half's parents, who are on a BT Line with unlimited evening & weekend landline calls, will it cost them any extra to call us? Or is it still just classed as a Landline?

Sorry if these questions are silly, I have just been used to dealing with BT for my phone line.

Thanks

Stewart
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:30:04
Print Post

Re: Questions regarding Sky Broadband and talk

[re: StuMcBill] [link to this post]

Areas codes are as you would expect, i.e. Aberdeen code on aberdeen exchange
Calls for parents will remain within their unlimited evening and weekend bundle as it is still a UK landline

My experience has been fine, even had a smooth fault repair when telephone line broke just down the road.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User StuMcBill
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:34:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Perfect, thanks for your help!

Stewart

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:34:51
Print Post

Are you aware that as of tomorrow Plusnet is offering unlimited products?

Yes, a Sky line will have an Aberdeen area code. However, as it will be a new line installed by Sky, instead of a takeover, you may find if you want in time to move to a non-Sky line rental that you have difficulty keeping the number.

I don't know a lot about this, but it seems BT and Sky have their own number pools, a bit like the mobile phone companies. It's easy to move a BT one to Sky, and a bit more messy moving it back, but there have been a few reports of more difficulty moving a Sky one to BT.

There is no problem with anyone calling you from a "BT" landline. Or vice versa. They will pay standard BT charges now, in this case still with free evening and weekends to you, and you will pay whatever the Sky charges are on whatever plan you take.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StuMcBill
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 12:46:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah, thats interesting to know regarding the Plusnet Unlimited scenario!

I might wait and see what I get with them as I have been very happy with their service.

I assume if I took home phone with them, the answers to my original questions (re line rental & numbers) would remain the same?

Cheers

Stewart
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Dec-12 13:35:03
Print Post

Yes, Plusnet phone is what is called Wholesale Line Rental, which confusingly is an Openreach product not a BT Wholesale one. I think BT Phone itself also is, but I've never seen it confirmed. (PN unlimited will be available without Home Phone as well).

The only non-WLR suppliers are Sky and TalkTalk, (possibly C & W), apart from the Hull area. Google that if you want to know more.

All WLR lines are "BT" lines for ISP purposes. Easily swapped between WLR suppliers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Dec-12 14:32:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by StuMcBill:
99% of our phone calls on our land line are from the other half's parents, who are on a BT Line with unlimited evening & weekend landline calls, will it cost them any extra to call us?
As long as your # starts 01, 02 or 03 it will count within their BT inclusive calls.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User StuMcBill
(newbie) Tue 18-Dec-12 15:54:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know that BT are going to be offering FTTC in my area from March next year, does that also mean that I would be able to get Plusnet Fibre at that time? Do they work on the same system?

Thanks for all the replies so far, very helpful!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Dec-12 16:01:20
Print Post

BT - BT Infinity is based on a product that is sold by BT Wholesale, which is who Plusnet buy from also, so yes will be available.

The product BT Wholesale sell is based on the cabinets built by Openreach, or also sell their service to TalkTalk and Sky.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to